Dialectical behavior therapy

ashleyrichardson

ashleyrichardson

Anyone heard of this. I am in thus DBT program and it has really helped form my life. And am able too better manage my life skills with bipolar. I would love too discuss what I have learned. Skills I have acquired. Has anyone else been a part of a program? If so how much did it help you and if you graduated you has out continued to help in your daily life?

speckles

speckles

Dbt hasn,t worked for me, but I think there will be many people who would talk to you about it on the forum and would find it may help them with their difficulties. Many people in the uk though will not get the full programme but only a partial programme. I however was in dbt a long time and did the full programme.

ashleyrichardson

ashleyrichardson

Can I ask why do you think it didn't work for you? N did it help while you were n the program but stopped when you were no longer n the program. I am new to it so it might be a lot of false hope lol been about 7 months.

speckles

speckles

It didn't really help me much while I was in the programme, although some of its practmatic approach helped me to talk, and my card helped my therapist see what was happening. I think it didn't help me because I didn't,t really experiences problems in my life with the areas it assumes you do, so I was not impulsive, depressed yes but did not experience emotional disregulation in terms of intense emotions altering, I do not have difficultly with interpersonal relationships, my thinking was not black and white, the chaining did not work as there were no triggers that could be identified, I was already using distress tolerance 24 7 when I started I just wouldn,t have labelled them as this, I think my therapist felt the skills training part I already had. I think that it did not deal with my issues and to be fair as a treatment it was not set up to do this, I think though there is a false assumption that sh means bpd when it does not. I was also very physically ill cos of the difficulties and I think that makes any therapy hard. Don't let my experience disheartened you because if it fits with your difficulties I can see how it makes a great deal of sense and how it could really help.

I think to that dbt if it works for you is great because you are validated but if it does not then you are constantly under threat of being removed you constantly have to talk about your failure and it then becomes a very negative experience. However again there are many people I talk to who face the exact difficulties and it has helped them

ashleyrichardson

ashleyrichardson

Sound like you were placed into the group when you really didn't need to be in the group. Before I was in the group I had no skills and was very explosive and has helped on that aspect for the most of the time. Bpd has really effected my life I have almost lost my husband many times, which only the last time was blamed on my bipolar, today we are going to our first marriage counseling session. I vessel without the skills I wouldn't have been able to get this fat with him. I Am very nervous, but willing to do anything to keep my family together. Because us being apart was destroying my oldest and I couldn't.stand it. His x wife is back in the pictures so I'm trying to use my skills and be friends with her but its been one big rollercoaster ride. Well I'm just blabbing on now so I'll stop lol. I'm hoping the program works for me.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hope the therpay goes ok today, I think d.b.t. does have its place, I use mindfulness when I can, but I do get sick of it being shoved down my throat when I can't see my way past the past. I suppose its to deal with things in the here and now - so good luck with it you sound like you have made it work for you

Ks
xx

ashleyrichardson

ashleyrichardson

Thank you I need the luck... I'm trying to make it work for me because I'm so desperate, and I hate the way I Act. And make others feel you know.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Be safe and remember you are important too

Ks
xxx

calypso

calypso

Admin
I am at the very beginning of it and they were dithering as to whether it would suit someone diagnosed with bipolar. From what I have seen so far, some of it will be good for me. But there are areas where I am going to really struggle eg the "Prayer" bit! I don't believe in higher powers in the sense they say it. I may just go to sleep through that part.

I am also feeling that the rigidity of the structure a little irksome. The diary stuff seems very superficial too. Well lets see what pans out for me with it. After 4 months in hospital they are desperate to find something that might work for me. xxx

speckles

speckles

Ash
I think if you hate the way you act and you work hard a dbt, and not only understand but use the info to try and help you change the way you think and act it can really change your life and the way you deal with people and your emotions, and so can be a massively beneficial. But to do this you have to be able to see why you reactions don't help and be willing to learn how to do it differently. I know some people who really took this on board and their lives are no longer chaotic and they have successful relationships etc but I have also seen others who can see their thoughts and behaviour lead them to difficulties but they expect therefore for others to alter their behaviour because of their difficulties and would not let things form their past go, therefore it failed. So dbt may show you how you need boundaries and respect others for example, but one of my friends took the attitude that because she had problems with boundaries her therapist should just be available to phone her 24 hours a day and if she had not phoned back after five mins she would harm and tell her therapist it was her fault. When I spoke to my friend about it saying that the therapist might have other patients etc she just said well she should just respond to her when ever she wanted it because she feared rejection, needless to say dbt failed really. But others are very willing and can see how there behavioural patterns don't work and they can think differently now they know about it and it then really works for them. So I think it could change things in amazing ways for you, although of course it will take time.

Calypso, i think the higher power thing really is more about spirituality, in all honesty I hardly noticed it and I do believe in prayer - so I wouldn't worry about that. (I think it came about because of Marsha s own BPD she came out about two years ago saying she had BPD and when asked why she got better she described a spiritual experience where she felt jesus come off the cross and hug her and she had an epiphany knowing she was loved, she then went on to develop dbt. I remember my therapist saying to me then how am I meant to describe epiphanys to my patients!). I know you are bipolar rather than bpd so I don't exactly know what you difficulties are. DBT is incredibly rigid cos Marsha Linehan says it only works if you follow her scheme exactly - very convenient - those who fail get chucked out and they do not see these people as treatment failures in the research. I think though if you have BPD this rigid structure often helps them. I guess though because perhaps you don't have some of the bpd issues there will be stuff you find irritating, however, you seem an intelligent person to me and I think there may be things within it that you will find helpful but you may have to pick out and utilize them and just really ignore what does not fit. In time someone might actually adapt it for bipolar and take out what is not really relevant but currently people think it is very important to stick to the structure.

ashleyrichardson

ashleyrichardson

Yeah some of it doesn't suit for everyone! Although I think some of it Is really great information for your daily life if you didn't know How to deal with life in the first place. Sometimes I feel like it works and sometimes it don't. But I'm willing to try anything to better my life for my family. Best of luck for you and me :)

ashleyrichardson

ashleyrichardson

I think for me it will help at my counseling and dbt they won't talk to you for 24 hours after you harm yourself because they do not want to reward the behavior. I have a huge problem with calling people when I need too that is something I really need to work on. Maybe I'll get it eventually lol. Everyone I harm myself I hate going in to see my councilor because I berserk like such as disappointment witch they don't want they want med to accept it and move on. But besides that radically accepting things is something I really am getting good at and is one of the skills I use the most and find the most Helpful. And I do believe in a higher power so prayer helps a lot too.

D

democritus

Hello Sparkles and rh man from Maine

What program are you talking about? What dbt? What on earth are you talking about?
If you don't mine what you are saying.

Anne

I think to that dbt if it works for you is great because you are validated but if it does not then you are constantly under threat of being removed you constantly have to talk about your failure and it then becomes a very negative experience. However again there are ny people I talk to who face the exact difficulties and it has helped them

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Bipolar Forum 1