Dialectical Behavior Therapy

C

Candy19

Hi guys hope you are all doing okay

I recently came across something called DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) and was wondering if anyone here has tried this?

It is specifically for people with borderline personality disorder and/or intense emotional issues.

You can read more about it here if interested:
An Overview of Dialectical Behavior Therapy | Psych Central

Would like people's thoughts or experiences as I've only just heard about this and thinking of trying it out myself

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

I never heard of it before. Sorry too lazy to read article. :p

S

so sad

Hi

I've just started the pre-treatment for DBT. It came about because I was referred to a psychologist back in Feb who was the first to identify that I have strong elements of BPD. He put me forward for the DBT and I had to have another assessment. I'm hoping the pre-treatment goes OK because the actual course isn't guaranteed yet.
It sounds perfect for me - mindfulness, managing strong emotions, managing distress and building relationships - all the things I can't do.
I've been told its the hardest thing people have done so I'm scared but something needs to change and I'm hoping this will help that happen.
Is it possible you could talk to your GP/Mental Health Team about being put forward for it? The structure and support are what makes it work apparently.
x

C

Candy19

Hi

I've just started the pre-treatment for DBT. It came about because I was referred to a psychologist back in Feb who was the first to identify that I have strong elements of BPD. He put me forward for the DBT and I had to have another assessment. I'm hoping the pre-treatment goes OK because the actual course isn't guaranteed yet.
It sounds perfect for me - mindfulness, managing strong emotions, managing distress and building relationships - all the things I can't do.
I've been told its the hardest thing people have done so I'm scared but something needs to change and I'm hoping this will help that happen.
Is it possible you could talk to your GP/Mental Health Team about being put forward for it? The structure and support are what makes it work apparently.
x
Hi, like you it was a psychologist that also spotted these things in me, I'm sure he will refer me if I ask. I'm not surprised that it'll be hard, but it does seem worth it

mami5

mami5

Hi, I did nearly a year of DBT. It is really hard but could be worth the effort. It consists of one hour 1:1 with your therapist and then 2 hours group therapy to learn the skills, plus homework, on a weekly basis. Think it all went quite pear shaped for me when psychologist started doing schema therapy too. Even he admitted that schema was harder than DBT, and I really struggled to do both.

I really wish you all the luck with it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Emery Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5