Dialectical Behavior Therapy for ptsd

V

Very_clever

Hey all, I was researching a lot the other day and I came across a form of therapy called Dialectical Behavior Therapy. I was looking for my wife and the symptoms it treats as well as the manner it is conducted and other things about it seem ideal for her (based on what I know about her and what I have experienced). I would like to know if anyone has gone through this therapy for PTSD and if it helped.
I would also like to know if the way it is set up helped with people that do not come back to therapy or quit before it gets far in.
Thanks a lot and good luck to you all in your endeavors

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
Hi Very_clever, welcome to the forum. As you may have read in your researches, DBT was developed by a woman called Marsha Lineham as a treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder. But I think it's used more widely to treat other conditions now, and I do know of someone who had DBT who didn't have a BPD diagnosis, and found it helpful. In my experience of therapy, it's very much the therapist and their style, and whether you feel you can work with them that's important and determines whether it will help, as much as the type of therapy they offer. It can take several go's to find the right person for you. I hope your wife can find a therapist that will work for her, and all the best to you both.

P.s. I was just checking out Marsha Lineham and came across this article that mentions DBT as a treatment for PTSD in the first paragraph, I thought it was a good, thorough article What is DBT? | Behavioral Tech

V

Very_clever

Thanks a lot. Yea that article is the one that got me thinking about it for her. All the research I have done has listed the main symptoms it treats and they match up with her almost perfectly. Now have given her the info and a very well versed therapist that specializes in her situation. I think it is her move from here. I have accepted that I cannot make her do anything ( even if I know it will help her) because her heart will not be in it and it will be less effective. Her choice now. Thanks again.
If anyone has personal experience with this combo please chime in or pm me if you don't wanna go public about it. I understand.