• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Diagnosis

bluenomore

bluenomore

I've been seeing my CMT for about a year now, and have been taking medication for depression and anxiety, and had previous history of drug addiction and psychosis.

I haven't ever asked for, or been told a diagnosis. Does that mean that I simply have depression/anxiety, and If there was something else would a doctor tell me automatically, or do I need to ask?

Thanks,

A

Apotheosis

It is hard to know. From my understanding the diagnostic labels are largely a nonsense anyway. I too get anxiety & depression, & have had a lot of psychosis. For a long time they wouldn't diagnoses me with anything specific. They said it was drug induced psychosis; then psychotic depression, then the resurfacing of an undiagnosed psychotic illness. A family member got very angry with the team, during one ward round - demanding to know what was wrong - they diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia. I don't know what that is, & I don't know what that means. I'm not silly; I know the different theories, angles & ideas. It's just labels & umbrella terms to my mind. Boxes to stuff people in; I can't see much tangible objective basis to these terms.

What makes most sense is that this 'stuff' is a complex, a spectrum. With many, varied & complex influencing factors. Environmental, social, inter-personal, psychological, genetic, biological, spiritual, involving diet, addiction, societal influences, substance misuse & everything in-between. Who knows what the exact causes are?, & who can pinpoint the exact problem? & does it really matter?. We can spend our entire lives working out why we are unhappy; & eventually maybe get a good idea of why that is. But it's probably far better to look at how we can best live our lives; with some kind of contentment.

Labels can have their uses. But really I think we would be better without them; in relation to these conditions.

bluenomore

bluenomore

Brilliant Answer

That is a brilliant answer!
Thank you Apotheosis