• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Diagnosis

bluenomore

bluenomore

I've been seeing my CMT for about a year now, and have been taking medication for depression and anxiety, and had previous history of drug addiction and psychosis.

I haven't ever asked for, or been told a diagnosis. Does that mean that I simply have depression/anxiety, and If there was something else would a doctor tell me automatically, or do I need to ask?

Thanks,

A

Apotheosis

It is hard to know. From my understanding the diagnostic labels are largely a nonsense anyway. I too get anxiety & depression, & have had a lot of psychosis. For a long time they wouldn't diagnoses me with anything specific. They said it was drug induced psychosis; then psychotic depression, then the resurfacing of an undiagnosed psychotic illness. A family member got very angry with the team, during one ward round - demanding to know what was wrong - they diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia. I don't know what that is, & I don't know what that means. I'm not silly; I know the different theories, angles & ideas. It's just labels & umbrella terms to my mind. Boxes to stuff people in; I can't see much tangible objective basis to these terms.

What makes most sense is that this 'stuff' is a complex, a spectrum. With many, varied & complex influencing factors. Environmental, social, inter-personal, psychological, genetic, biological, spiritual, involving diet, addiction, societal influences, substance misuse & everything in-between. Who knows what the exact causes are?, & who can pinpoint the exact problem? & does it really matter?. We can spend our entire lives working out why we are unhappy; & eventually maybe get a good idea of why that is. But it's probably far better to look at how we can best live our lives; with some kind of contentment.

Labels can have their uses. But really I think we would be better without them; in relation to these conditions.

bluenomore

bluenomore

Brilliant Answer

That is a brilliant answer!
Thank you Apotheosis