• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Diagnosis

A

Alf

Hello all. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 3 1/2 years ago but I’ve always felt the diagnosis is wrong. Throughout my assessment period, I kept lying about my experiences, and not talking about the very bad things I’ve done since childhood, and I’m now in 60’s. I’m not sure what it is that I have, and I don’t want to guess. I think my trouble started when I witnessed my fathers abuse of animals. My own cruelty to animals started from then. Over the years I have done robbery frequently and destroyed other peoples property. I get very aggressive and lash out. Any ideas?

I have been given an urgent referral and waiting to hear.

I should add that I hear a mans voice telling me to either kill myself or hurt/kill someone/something!

albagobragh

albagobragh

Hi @Alf, welcome to the forum and I hope you get support here and can support others too.

No-one on here can diagnose you but you can look through the various forums where people are discussing their symptoms and see what sounds familiar to you.

I guess the best thing you can do is be completely open and honest when you get your appointment, that way they can help you best.

I'd suggest phoning your GP/MHT or NHS 24/7 on 111 and letting them know about your voice if they don't know already. It may help speed up your referral or get you urgent support.

If you feel suicidal, you can also phone the Samaratins free on 116 123.

K

keith74

I should add that I hear a mans voice telling me to either kill myself or hurt/kill someone/something!
Do you hear this voice all the time? Or only at certain times when your mood is "elevated" (manic)?

K

keith74

If you experience psychosis outside of a mood swing, then it is possible you actually have schizoaffective disorder. It is basically bipolar + psychosis (outside a mood swing).

G

Ginger Kitten

You have to tell someone within mental health or, failing that, your GP. You need relief from that voice. It also worries me that it is urging you to hurt yourself or someone else. Don't ignore that, it could be dangerous. I hope you get the treatment you need - and fast. You should be treated urgently, and if you tell someone within the medical or psychiatric professions about the voice and what it is telling you to do, you will be. Good luck, Ginger K.

K

keith74

I hope you get the treatment and help you need. One of the first things that will help is getting a correct diagnosis. It would be good if a professional can confirm the schizoaffective diagnosis. Once you have the correct diagnosis, you can get the proper treatment to help.

K

keith74

One other thing.... if you don't actually have mood swings (mania/depression) but only the psychosis (the voice), then it could be schizophrenia instead of schizoaffective.

G

Ginger Kitten

I hope you get the treatment and help you need. One of the first things that will help is getting a correct diagnosis. It would be good if a professional can confirm the schizoaffective diagnosis. Once you have the correct diagnosis, you can get the proper treatment to help.
I agree with that in principle, but the first aim would be to quell the psychosis (the voice is an auditory 'hallucination', cos it's not really there). That would mean an antipsychotic, and any number of them would probably help - I'm not sure if you're already on medication, Alf? If so, it needs reviewing. KR, Ginger.

K

keith74

Yes totally agree GK. Medication would of course be part of the treatment and help I mentioned. The first thing would be to get the correct diagnosis from a professional to get that all rolling.

A

Alf

Thanks both, you’ve been a great help. By the way I’m on 200mg sertraline,2mg flupentixol and 200mg lamotrigine.