• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Diagnosis

ht46

ht46

Do different countries have different ways of diagnosing? I was talking to someone on here who said I didn't suffer from schizophrenia because I no longer hear voices because of medication, I put this past my psychiatrist and she said I have schizophrenia paranoid type because of my hyper vigilance and my diagnosis hasn't changed.

soul searching

soul searching

Schizophrenia is a lifelong illness, sorry.Your hyper-vigilance is a symptom of paranoid schizophrenia. Hope that helps.

On Fire

On Fire

Maybe, I am not sure though. In the UK we have Early Intervention in Psychosis teams across most of the country. They do diagnose schizophrenia, but do it sort of reluctantly, sometimes not telling the patient (happened to me). Other times they will only diagnose schizophrenia after multiple bad psychosis. This is because of the stigma of the diagnosis.

ht46

ht46

Maybe, I am not sure though. In the UK we have Early Intervention in Psychosis team across most of the country. They do diagnose schizophrenia, but do it sort of reluctantly, sometimes not telling the patient (happened to me). Other times they will only diagnose schizophrenia after multiple bad psychosis. This is because of the stigma of the diagnosis.
Yeah here in NZ I found out I had schizophrenia at the welfare office until then I thought I was just diagnosed with psychosis.

soul searching

soul searching

I just found out that my parents were told back in 1998 that I was a paranoid schizophrenic. They never told me. My dad baker-acted me when I was suicidal and I think my parents must have thought I was told or got the help I needed then. In any case. I've been living in a hellacious world since. Better this last month since I found out what my problem is but still have a long way to go.

ht46

ht46

I just found out that my parents were told back in 1998 that I was a paranoid schizophrenic. They never told me. My dad baker-acted me when I was suicidal and I think my parents must have thought I was told or got the help I needed then. In any case. I've been living in a hellacious world since. Better this last month since I found out what my problem is but still have a long way to go.
That's really rough and not fair of your parents keeping that from you. I find it helpful now having my diagnosis explained to me instead of just going through the symptoms. Patients should be told early on I believe.

M

Maria08

I think some places use ICD but DSM is more common.

I think once you have symptoms (even mild) beyond 6 months it becomes schizophrenia not psychosis.

My doctors never discuss diagnosis with me, it’s annoying. I read the paperwork now but I first found out by googling symptoms and medication.