• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Rapha2003

Rapha2003

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder but know next to nothing about the condition. The Psychiatrists don't really have time to explain it to me. I don't really know what is wrong with me or what I can do about it?

Can anyone here give me the heads up?

Many thanks.

Q

QueenFan

I was diagnosed with this, though actually I think there was PTSD and I've sort-of learned to manage anxiety but the trauma keeps coming back.
I was prescribed beta blockers to slow my heart which was racing all the time.
Walking miles helped me, I got a puppy and that helped.
I still wear a bracelet of stones and mess with it in nervous situations.
I can't do alcohol or caffeine or junk food, and it's best if I avoid the news stress etc.
The pandemic has been difficult to handle, one problem after another.
Hope you feel better soon

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder but know next to nothing about the condition. The Psychiatrists don't really have time to explain it to me. I don't really know what is wrong with me or what I can do about it?

Many thanks.

I have GAD too. It is best known as feeling constant moderate to severe anxiety over...anything and everything. Overthinking, ruminating over things, feeling a sense of doom or like something bad will happen all the time. Just worrying about a LOT.

My anxiety manifests as a sense of impending doom, dread, fear of something bad happening to my loved ones, etc. It has over time caused me to be chronically depressed. I've had GAD since age 4, when the trauma started that caused the CPTSD I also have.

Rapha2003

Rapha2003

Hi Queenfan

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I too have been prescribed beat-blockers for anxiety. I think they help to some degree. I enjoy exercise which helps a lot with the anxiety and stress.

Sorry also to hear of your diagnosis of PTSD, not sure if I have been diagnosed with that, the Psychiatrists don't really involve me with my treatment, they just go behind my back all the time.

I too stay away from alcohol but I do drink some decaf coffee and Latte's when I am out and about. I find going outside difficult due to the anxiety.

Thank you for your info on my diagnosis of GAD.

Rapha2003

Rapha2003

Hi stevie_sloth

Many thanks for your description of Generalized Anxiety Disorder I can relate to what you have said. I too worry constantly and have servere anxiety.

Sorry to hear of your trauma aged 4 which started the CPTSD, mine was trauma aged 5. Sorry to hear of your depression, I know how that feels, not very nice at all.

May I ask have you had any treatment for GAD? Do you know if there is any at all?

Many thanks once again,

Steve.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Hi stevie_sloth

Many thanks for your description of Generalized Anxiety Disorder I can relate to what you have said. I too worry constantly and have servere anxiety.

Sorry to hear of your trauma aged 4 which started the CPTSD, mine was trauma aged 5. Sorry to hear of your depression, I know how that feels, not very nice at all.

May I ask have you had any treatment for GAD? Do you know if there is any at all?

Many thanks once again,

Steve.
I haven't had any treatment for GAD besides trying several antidepressants (which don't work on it), benzos (which do work very well, but only for a few weeks of daily use), and very brief talk therapy that did absolutely nothing.

Squish

Squish

Hi stevie_sloth

Many thanks once again,

Steve.
I have GAD, too! As well as OCD.
I just wanted to jump in and let you know there are quite a few medications targeting anxiety specifically, but can come with a variety of side effects.
Since meds have already been mentioned...have you heard about CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), (ACT, acceptance and commitment therapy) and ERP (Exposure and response prevention?) for specific anxieties? Finding a therapist or psych that is trained specifically in these can help guide you. There are also some really good books on the market backed by great research about these two specifically. "The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris is a good place to start. The Anxiety and Worry workbook by Clark and Beck is a great one to work through if therapy isn't an option.

G

GuyCoping

Hi all,

Many thanks.
Staying away from alcohol is important. Anxiety/antidepressants can be helpful. Green tea helps your body naturally create seratonin and that will help you out with anxiety/depression. Eating right and sleeping well is important.

Rapha2003

Rapha2003

Hi stevie_sloth

Thanks for answering my post. Sorry to hear that the anti-depressants didn't work for you. I haven't tried benzo's as of yet. Maybe if I could whittle down what may have originally caused the anxiety disorder I might be able to talk myself around to getting well again. Just a thought.

Thanks again.

Rapha2003

Rapha2003

Hi Squish

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis of GAD and OCD. I have been diagnosed with OCD as well and I know how unpleasant that is. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I have yet to complete a full course of CBT but I do think that it can help. I haven't heard of ACT or ERP therapies, thanks for the heads up. Thanks also for the info with the books, I'll look them up for some ideas, very kind of you.

Rapha2003

Rapha2003

Hi GuyCoping,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post with the good advice. I never touch alcohol as I feel I don't really need it. I have been prescribed both antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications which both seem to help. I drink Camomile tea as it seems to help with head pain, I'll have to try green tea as you say. I try to follow a healthy diet and exercise for weight gain that is a side effect of medication.

Thanks once again for the kind advice.