• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Diagnosed with GAD today

A

Aspie

Hi all, I'm kinda new here and needed somewhere to share my thoughts and hopefully get a few opinions.

I saw my local GP today as I've been having rather intense/constant anxiety & frequent panic attacks. I was a bit careless and have been pushing myself too hard and tend to worry about stuff I shouldn't be. I spend about 7 hours a day studying + part time job. I've done a bit of research and seem to have most of of the symptoms associated with GAD.

Since I left my condition un-attended for a number of months and let myself deteriorate, the Doc has put me on meds while I try and control my thoughts and get back in control again. I'm having a few beers after my diagnosis, even though I know I probably shouldn't. It helps me clear my thoughts atleast.

My road to recovery begins, if anyone else suffers from generalised anxiety disorder then you probably already know the hell I'm going through.

Any theraputic suggestions are welcome, since I'm trying to keep an open mind here.

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Aspie, :welcome: to MHF :). Sorry to hear you are not feeling so well at the moment.:hug:

N

nicros

Hi there, I was diagnosed with GAD about 4 years ago after having post natal depression that just got worse. I am on 75mg venlafaxine which calm me down and stop those constant thoughts running around in your head. I have also had CBT through the Dr and that was a great help as it helps to train you to think differently and calm down when you have panic attacks. I kept thinking I was going to faint or die when I had one but now I realise that they don't do any harm I don't feel out of control. You can ask for CBT at your Dr there is waiting list but its worth it. You can also ask for a health link worker they bridge the gap between the Dr and hospital, they are great and trained in this area. I see mine only when I need too. And they give you support and help and lots of self help booklets to keep. Your Dr can arrange this too or you can ring your local hospital and ask to speak to the mental health team.
This may not help you but my greatest help apart from my family are my pets, my dog is amazing she makes me feel calm when I stroke her and as she is mainly a grey hound she needs me to be calm around her as she is nervous and this helps me as I keep calm for her and manage to fool myself I'm calm too.
Take care of yourself and live each day at a time, there is a lot of spport around and this web site is great, there is another site called 'no more panic' it is really good too. Love Nicola :hug:

T

twin keck

What helped me

I SUFFERED WITH GAD FOR 4 YEARS. MY CPN SUGGESTED TO ME OVER THE YEARS THAT I WALK. I PAID NO ATTENTION TO HER AT ALL UNTIL SOME FRIENDS OF MINE TOOK ME TO WALES FOR THE WEEKEND.THEY TOOK ME UP A MOUNTAIN CALLED CANICHT AND 3/4S OF THE WAY UP I THROW A WOBBLER AND WANTED TO GO BACK. AFTER A HEATED ARGUMENT THEY CONVINCED ME TO GO ON AND IT CHANGED MY LIFE. I REACHED THE 2500FT SUMITT AND I FELT GREAT. I GOT SUCH A BUZZ OUT OF IT. PUSHING MYSELF OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE WAS THE KICK I NEEDED. MY ANXIETY DIDNT INSTANTLY DISAPEAR IT WENT ABOUT 4 MONTHS LATER. IT WAS ON A SUNDAY LUNCHTIME AND I WAS SAT WATCHING TV JUST AFTER MY SON HAD LEFT AND THE USUAL WORRY AND PAINS IN MY STOMACH WHERE THERE. THEN SUDDENLY THEY JUST STOPPED. I COULDNT BELIEVE IT! I USED TO TAKE A LOT OF MEDICATION FOR THIS ILLNESS NOW I TAKE NOTHING. IT WORKED FOR ME I GOING WALKING OFTEN. IT MAY OR NOT WORK FOR YOU. GIVE IT A TRY ITS FREE. :clap:

W

wrongun73

hi, i to have just got back from a visit to the psychiatrist. she thought maybe bi polar as my dad has it but after reading my mood diary has decided my mood swings may not last long enough for that. she says it could be GAD, and has given me pregabalin. i dont know about anyone else but i feel as if they dont really know, they sort of just do everything by trial and error. its like they'll say its this or that, put you on some medication then if that doesn't work decide it's something else! i dont suffer with panic attacks but have thoughts of my kids dying and stuff. i also always think someone is in the house watching me and when in the bath with shampoo in my eyes i'll think someone will run in the room with a plugged-in toaster or something and throw it in the bath lol.
hope you feel better soon.