• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Diagnosed with CD in 2008...feel hopeless!

snowflakes1984

snowflakes1984

Well, I'm new to this site, and was so excited to find it! I have been searching, and searching for a support group/forum for Conversion Disorder. I was diagnosed in January of 2008, and my life has been a major struggle since then!

I'm 25 years old, married, and have been dealing with depression, OCD, anxiety, PTSD, previous eating disorder issues, borderline personality disorder, and self injury since I was in middle school. I have been in the hospital multiple times, and attempted suicide multiple times as well. Since being diagnosed with Conversion Disorder I have been in the hospital 4 or 5 times. It's been so hard to deal with.

The symptom of CD that I suffer from is the non-epileptic seizures. I have 4 - 5 a week, and have no idea when they are going to hit. I have broken bones, received concussions, and had multiples bruises from the falls. I cannot work because of them, am not suppose to drive, am afraid to be in public for long periods of time, won't exercise, or take my dog for walks away from my home, for fear I will have a seizure and not be found (we live out of town). My life has been affected by this illness in so many ways. I hate it. I am on Social Security disability. I see my therapist twice a week, and my psychiatrist once a month. I'm taking multiple medications. But nothing we have done, or tried has been seeming to help.

I don't have much support from my parents, or siblings over this, and that has made it that much harder. And to top it off, my mother is a damn psychologist.

I am so scared that the rest of my life is going to be like this. Trapped in my home, trapped in this illness, not being able to move forward. Always afraid a seizure will happen. Right now, instead of being happy and in the Christmas spirit my depression in worsening, and I find myself crying every few minutes. The sadness is overwhelming. It just feels so overwhelming, and hopeless. That's all I can write, right now, since I'm crying again. Thanks for listening.

F

firebirdlover

Dear snowflake, I'm so sorry you are going through this, my mother in law was just diagnosed with CD, and her treatment is really going knowhere, she has been in the Hospital for almost a month. I am 3000 miles away and it is very frustrating, they wont send any therapist to her floor to speak with her, and my other family members don't want her to be put on the psyc floor.Today they have all decided she has polio, because she can't swallow,and hasn't eaten food in a month.

Hang in there it sounds like you are taking the right steps, I'm sorry you don't have more support

B

boris69

self help for conversion disorder

readers of this forum may be interested in a self help website for patients with conversion disorder (also called functional neurological symptoms) at www.neurosymptoms.org

F

firebirdlover

Thank you for the link to the website, I wish my family members would be interested in all this. Things aren't going good at all with my mother in law, she still can't swallow, and has a stomach tube now, no one there will let a therapist see her, eventhough the neurologist says it's conversion disorder. Tomorrow she is going to a nursing home.

T

tigger12

iam so sorry to hear that u are having all these problems xx i really feel for you.i hope u get the help that u need xx