Diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder, can you help..?

S

shado

Hello :)

I feel a little selfish cos I'm not good at talking to people and even when I want to post back to people I feel too embarrassed and I don't and yet here I am in need of help and starting a post.. so I am sorry but I have no one else to ask ..

I am 35 I have struggled all my life and the other week I was in a dark place, and my doctor called my mental health place to get an emergency appointment with someone and the guy I saw sat there and asked me so many questions and then basically told me that I dont have depression I have a personality disorder, he said an Avoidant anxious one and that talking to someone isn't going to help, meds are not going to help.. and I need to work hard and push myself out of my comfort zone and start getting back into the world..
( I am a recluse, I have no life, no friends .. just me and my animals living upstairs in my mum's house who I rarely talk to aswell)

I have just been put with an occupational therapist, and the guy I saw said that's all I need.. work with her to get back out an get a job, I haven't worked for ten years now,

Anyway.. my thing is, I don't think I can do that.. I feel like I don't want to do it aswell all I think about it suicide but I'm just holding on so I one leave my pets behind alone, but I'm on benefits and it's getting harder to be on them cos they keep trying to get me to work.. but I can do it , I can't go out by myself and I can't use the phone.. and I'm just not great with people.. I get too shy and anxious and the thought of having to do it makes me wanna end things even more.. I'm not lazy so I really hope it doesn't come across like that.. but I just can't do that they want me to .. I did say this to the woman but they just always say u need to push urself to do it and maybe we can start with going out together but I always put it off cos I don't want to/ can't do it .. I wish I didn't have pets cos I think I would just end my life now..

Does anyone have any experience with this? I wish they would just leave me alone.. but you can't get paid ur benefits if ur not trying to get better an you can't live in this world with no money ..

I dunno what to do.

If you are suffering with this condition or any others can I ask what jobs people do? Cos I'm at a loss of what I could do if I was able to.. I can't take people/crowds Andi can't talk on the phone .. what is there to even do...

Sorry I hope that wasn't too long and I really hope if u read it u can understand, I don't type well when I get going plus my tablet is crap.

Thank you if u did read xxx

Hope everyone is feeling okay xxx

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Hi, welcome to the forum

I am diagnosed with this atm, amongst other things. Personally i feel that what the person said to you was not helpful. I take meds, have had therapy, cbt, dbt, counselling etc. It is not just about pushing yourself. imo you need support. Also though it sounds like you were given this diagnosis after one meeting? I think giving you a diagnosis based on that, i dont know.

S

shado

I thought the same .. I only saw him for the first time answering a few questions hadn't even told him my main problems .. but reading up about it I can say It sounds just like me but so do most of the other personality disorders.. it wasn't helpful him saying that meds and appointments with them aren't going to do anything so other than seeing an occupational therapist I'm being discharged back to my doctor.. which is fine.. whatever.. but I went there cos I was given an emergency appointment for being suicidal and I got him telling me I have to do this and go o work etc .

Anyway .. thanks for replying xx hope ur doing okay xx