• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Diagnosed Psychopath/Sociopath discussion (questions welcome)

N

NimRhali

It's good to hear from people with ASPD. I actually have empathy for people with this disorder because I know that you seriously can't help that you have a lack of remorse and shame. Why should I treat someone who can't help it like crap? I also hate how ASPD is shown in media (ie, the blood thirsty killer or rapist).

I hope you have enough self awareness to understand why our species developed empathy, and why it is crucial to at least mimic this emotion in day-to-day life.

I sincerely hope you are coping well with your disorder, and even though you may not be able to understand my concern, just know that I do, indeed, care for you, just like I care for all psychopaths.

PS: I hope you have healthy ways of dealing with the chronic boredom that comes with ASPD.

Ras

Ras

It's good to hear from people with ASPD. I actually have empathy for people with this disorder because I know that you seriously can't help that you have a lack of remorse and shame. Why should I treat someone who can't help it like crap? I also hate how ASPD is shown in media (ie, the blood thirsty killer or rapist).

I hope you have enough self awareness to understand why our species developed empathy, and why it is crucial to at least mimic this emotion in day-to-day life.

I sincerely hope you are coping well with your disorder, and even though you may not be able to understand my concern, just know that I do, indeed, care for you, just like I care for all psychopaths.

PS: I hope you have healthy ways of dealing with the chronic boredom that comes with ASPD.
why do you think our species developed empathy?
I get it being crucial to ask as one has empathy unless of course you want to be shunned away by most people.

The boredom certainly is a pain in the ass

N

NimRhali

In simple terms, our species developed empathy as a survival adaptation. It's quite difficult to try and coexist in a primative village with other humans if you don't have the ability to understand how they feel and connect with their needs and emotions. If a member of the tribe lacks empathy and becomes selfish and exhibits antisocial behavior (violence, yelling, stealing), he/she would be abandoned.

So my point is that even though you are incapable of remorse and may have deep urges to exploit your fellow man, I hope that you are intelligent enough to understand why you should not do so. We no longer live in tribes in the wilderness, but our species still has ways of abandoning you.

I wish you the best :)

Ras

Ras

In simple terms, our species developed empathy as a survival adaptation. It's quite difficult to try and coexist in a primative village with other humans if you don't have the ability to understand how they feel and connect with their needs and emotions. If a member of the tribe lacks empathy and becomes selfish and exhibits antisocial behavior (violence, yelling, stealing), he/she would be abandoned.

So my point is that even though you are incapable of remorse and may have deep urges to exploit your fellow man, I hope that you are intelligent enough to understand why you should not do so. We no longer live in tribes in the wilderness, but our species still has ways of abandoning you.

I wish you the best :)
Humans are selfish by nature though. Someone is always out there exploiting another person and that person getting exploited is exploiting another person in a way or another. A endless cycle, a lot of people are just in denial with it and like thinking they are nothing like that but humans naturally will do what is best for them at the expanse of others

N

NimRhali

Humans are selfish by nature though. Someone is always out there exploiting another person and that person getting exploited is exploiting another person in a way or another. A endless cycle, a lot of people are just in denial with it and like thinking they are nothing like that but humans naturally will do what is best for them at the expanse of others
It is not wrong to say that humans are selfish by nature, but this is one aspect of the human condition. If I saw someone being attacked by an animal or another person, I would be absolutely compelled to help that person. I wouldn't focus on my own safety unless I knew there was truly no way I could save them. I also experience a deep feeling of warmth and satisfaction when helping people and giving them a gift. Psychological researchers have actually proven that giving a gift feels better than receiving one. So, yes, selfishness is definitely a part of human nature, but it is also human nature to crave the understanding of others' emotions in order to better your relationship with them and with your community. Could this ultimately be in-and-of-itself selfish? Maybe, but that's debatable.

Even though humans are selfish by nature (like taking more than you need without care for others' needs), empathy, compassion, and respect is also a part of it too. Maybe not in the most bombastic, flamboyant of ways, but it is still there. The simple act of holding open a door, picking up something someone dropped, and wanting to please another shows signs of empathy in our species which leads to cooperation and then society.

Ras

Ras

It is not wrong to say that humans are selfish by nature, but this is one aspect of the human condition. If I saw someone being attacked by an animal or another person, I would be absolutely compelled to help that person. I wouldn't focus on my own safety unless I knew there was truly no way I could save them. I also experience a deep feeling of warmth and satisfaction when helping people and giving them a gift. Psychological researchers have actually proven that giving a gift feels better than receiving one. So, yes, selfishness is definitely a part of human nature, but it is also human nature to crave the understanding of others' emotions in order to better your relationship with them and with your community. Could this ultimately be in-and-of-itself selfish? Maybe, but that's debatable.

Even though humans are selfish by nature (like taking more than you need without care for others' needs), empathy, compassion, and respect is also a part of it too. Maybe not in the most bombastic, flamboyant of ways, but it is still there. The simple act of holding open a door, picking up something someone dropped, and wanting to please another shows signs of empathy in our species which leads to cooperation and then society.
i dont think i will ever understand why anyone would willingly put themselves in danger to save another person like a stranger i mean. That thought just would not be in my head unless i thought something would be gained from it