• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Diagnosed Psychopath/Sociopath discussion (questions welcome)

Tin Woodman

Tin Woodman

you dont experience most emotions
so you have occasionally experienced emotions ?
can you describe those ones that you did feel ?

:grouphug:
When I say I don't experience most emotion I mean most "types" of emotion. I do not ever feel empathy love remorse or personal sadness or depression. I don't actually know what these emotions even feel like, such as a person who is deaf does not understand sound. I do however feel great Sympathy and compassion for those who are vulnerable. I can hold a kitten and feel protective over it because it is weak or feel great sadness for a person who is mentally handicapped because of their condition. With that in mind, I have in the past done terrible things to animals and humans and never felt guilt. I do what needs to be done in my mind.

Z

Zoe1

I can hold a kitten and feel protective over it because it is weak or feel great sadness for a person who is mentally handicapped because of their condition
thats interesting , so you can feel ' sad ' but not ' happy '

S

shirley u gessed

More later, but for now:
  • ALL relationships are transactional, most don't realize this.
  • Everyone manipulates to some extent, it is often referred to as "wearing different hats" given situations. (Ex. work persona, home persona, etc)
  • You refer to actions you took as "horrific", so I wonder if that does not contain some regret or insight
  • You are not a "what"
  • Diagnoses can vary greatly dependent on the actual professional. Psychologists are not the most mentally healthy people, psychology is a very soft science based on statistics, which are simply manipulations of data. This then leads to skewed results because the "professionals" are looking for what matches up, creating more so called "data" ad infinitum.
  • Sorry if I missed it, but IF you have not had multiple consults with completely unrelated professionals, then do so. Don't talk about previous diagnoses.
  • Please research: ASPD and psychopath are NOT interchangeable labels
  • And lastly, sorry if I missed it, but have you seen a psychiatrist?

S

shirley u gessed

OH, and compassion and sympathy are forms of empathy. (Also, you may have sensed my distrust of psychologists. I have a basis for this, which I will not go into at length, but experiences range from very supportive to harmful, professionalism to extremely invasive inappropriate expectations of my involvement.) Some funny stories though. (Social workers are even worse.)

J

jamraspberry

You are so brave to talk about your psychopath/sociopath diagnosis. I totally respect you for that.

Don't be ashamed at all, society needs to be more understanding to psychopaths/sociopaths. My relative has psychopath/sociopath symptoms, how do I be more understanding?

Antimatter

Antimatter

I am actually quite successful, many psychopaths are. I own a home and have worked in a high paying career for 12 years now. I'm the best at what I do. I fulfill a management position at a company that installs equipment for a microchip plant
True enough, sad really. Wondering why you would come on to a mental health forum and offer yourself up, as what seems like an exhibit.

Tin Woodman

Tin Woodman

thats interesting , so you can feel ' sad ' but not ' happy '
I can feel sadness for another being who I view as weak or disadvantaged. I feel protective over those who can not protect themselves, but ruthlessly dominate those who are able. I do feel happiness but only very VERY rarely, like bringing your head up above the water to breathe before being dragged back down into the darkness below. It's random, I feel happy sometimes when I believe that everything is in order and going well. Usually, I'm always bored and chasing stimulation, which often means harming other people for someone like me.

Z

Zoe1

I can feel sadness for another being who I view as weak or disadvantaged. I feel protective over those who can not protect themselves, but ruthlessly dominate those who are able. I do feel happiness but only very VERY rarely, like bringing your head up above the water to breathe before being dragged back down into the darkness below. It's random, I feel happy sometimes when I believe that everything is in order and going well. Usually, I'm always bored and chasing stimulation, which often means harming other people for someone like me.
have you ever felt happy because the sun is shining and the spring flowers are out ?

Tin Woodman

Tin Woodman

More later, but for now:
  • ALL relationships are transactional, most don't realize this.
  • Everyone manipulates to some extent, it is often referred to as "wearing different hats" given situations. (Ex. work persona, home persona, etc)
  • You refer to actions you took as "horrific", so I wonder if that does not contain some regret or insight
  • You are not a "what"
  • Diagnoses can vary greatly dependent on the actual professional. Psychologists are not the most mentally healthy people, psychology is a very soft science based on statistics, which are simply manipulations of data. This then leads to skewed results because the "professionals" are looking for what matches up, creating more so called "data" ad infinitum.
  • Sorry if I missed it, but IF you have not had multiple consults with completely unrelated professionals, then do so. Don't talk about previous diagnoses.
  • Please research: ASPD and psychopath are NOT interchangeable labels
  • And lastly, sorry if I missed it, but have you seen a psychiatrist?
Thank you very much for this well-constructed outline. I love bullet points! Unfortunately, I'm not too well versed in proper forum structure so I will just answer each point in my own way.

1.) I am fully aware that all relationships are transactional, but humans tend to filter these interactions through emotion which allows for "wiggle room" and for people who are slightly different to still achieve cohesion. I illustrate my relationships as "transactional" to convey the lack of emotion involved.
2.) I manipulate for fun. I am constantly bored and seeking stimulation. Unfortunately, this often is achieved through lying and coercion. I don't do it as often now after becoming self-aware, but it still happens. I'm afraid that even in an anonymous capacity I'm still not being completely honest with people reading this.
3.) I am a bundle of cells just like any other living thing.
4.) I understand this and don't place much value on the opinions of people who treat me. I seek treatment to learn how to become more successful. I convey their diagnosis on this forum as a token of credibility to lubricate conversation. I do not need support, this is an experiment.
5.) I've been "treated" by a dozen different professionals throughout my life. I generally take the upper hand and it results in a useless affair.
6.) I've done plenty of research, and know that the term "Psychopath" is not a diagnosable term. It is, however, useful to convey what I am in a way that laymen people understand. I'm here to inform more than to learn. ASPD is a broad brush and does not accurately describe an individual. I would be considered a Psychopath to most people, so that's the word I use.
7.) Many, but I believe the previous points already answered this.

Thank you again.

Tin Woodman

Tin Woodman

OH, and compassion and sympathy are forms of empathy. (Also, you may have sensed my distrust of psychologists. I have a basis for this, which I will not go into at length, but experiences range from very supportive to harmful, professionalism to extremely invasive inappropriate expectations of my involvement.) Some funny stories though. (Social workers are even worse.)
From my research Empathy and Sympathy are two different constructs. For example, if I meet a person who is severely handicapped I feel sympathy for them. If someone comes to me in tears that their loved one who was handicapped died, I feel nothing because the person who died is not suffering... they're dead. these are handled differently by the brain, of which mine is damaged or otherwise nonfunctioning.

Tin Woodman

Tin Woodman

You are so brave to talk about your psychopath/sociopath diagnosis. I totally respect you for that.

Don't be ashamed at all, society needs to be more understanding to psychopaths/sociopaths. My relative has psychopath/sociopath symptoms, how do I be more understanding?
Thank you very much but bravery has nothing to do with it. I never feel shame or fear. I converse with people on this forum as I would talk to myself. There's no emotion.

I don't think understanding is key, again we don't feel shame and don't need approval from others. We only care about what works, what gets us what we want. If you have someone in your life who has ASPD it's important for you to protect yourself first, then maybe try to reason with them in a logical way how their actions are more beneficial when they produce stronger social bonds. If not for a few very kind and wise people, I might have ended up in prison. Please understand that we do not think as you do.

Tin Woodman

Tin Woodman

True enough, sad really. Wondering why you would come on to a mental health forum and offer yourself up, as what seems like an exhibit.
I understand your contempt. People like me walk all over others. I've gained what I have through manipulation and deception. I'm not what most people consider a "good person". I'm not looking for redemption, and perhaps my intentions are not pure. I don't have a conscience. My purpose in this forum is experimental and probably selfish. That's an honest answer.

I know and understand that my actions hurt others, I want to reduce that effect.

Tin Woodman

Tin Woodman

have you ever felt happy because the sun is shining and the spring flowers are out ?
Yes, I love good weather. Life itself is amazing and impossible to comprehend. Each one of us is blessed with this gift. Countless galaxies exist around us but we are the only *known* species capable of appreciating the wonderment around us. I love life.

Antimatter

Antimatter

I understand your contempt. People like me walk all over others. I've gained what I have through manipulation and deception. I'm not what most people consider a "good person". I'm not looking for redemption, and perhaps my intentions are not pure. I don't have a conscience. My purpose in this forum is experimental and probably selfish. That's an honest answer.

I know and understand that my actions hurt others, I want to reduce that effect.
You will be unmoved to know that I respect you. Regular people should be cautious of, or fear you. A role in government would suit you well.

Z

Zoe1

Yes, I love good weather. Life itself is amazing and impossible to comprehend. Each one of us is blessed with this gift. Countless galaxies exist around us but we are the only *known* species capable of appreciating the wonderment around us. I love life
that sounds really positive
maybe you could get stimulation from risk sports
I have done this for a few years now
and its a great help with my self destructive feelings

:grouphug: 🎼 :)