• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Diagnosed and don't know what to do

W

Wolfy123

So after 5 months I've finally been diagnosed. I have a panic disorder and agoraphobia.
I've been trying a method called exposure, but it just is really hard. I went to a store today and it almost went wrong, but i pushed through and bought the stuff I needed.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Or an experience of their own?
Or even just something to cheer me up?

A

Aurelius

You might try rewarding yourself - i.e., give yourself a treat if you make it through. Definitely do not punish or criticise yourself if things do not go to plan - just do something to get back in your comfort zone. Exposing ourselves to what we fear is really tough - sometimes it helps to remind ourselves of this when we feel we have failed - because every attempt we make is a positive step forward. You have already done brilliantly well today!! Congratulations and do feel really proud of yourself for being so brave!!

W

Wolfy123

You might try rewarding yourself - i.e., give yourself a treat if you make it through. Definitely do not punish or criticise yourself if things do not go to plan - just do something to get back in your comfort zone. Exposing ourselves to what we fear is really tough - sometimes it helps to remind ourselves of this when we feel we have failed - because every attempt we make is a positive step forward. You have already done brilliantly well today!! Congratulations and do feel really proud of yourself for being so brave!!
Thank you, even though it's gonna be very hard, I'll try