Diagnose me - Need help!

P

purity

Hey all,

My situation is actually really confusing, at-least in my own head and eyes it is. My idea posting in this forum is just to go into some detail about my mental health over the last few years, get help understanding it and maybe try and improve overall.

So, i'm currently 20 years old but I have always overthought things, I feel like I analyse myself and others, I can understand peoples emotions really well and give the best advice but usually can't take my own. I always have that 'voice' in my head speaking to myself but also arguing with myself, as if there is a 'good and a bad' side - there is a voice of doubt also, anxiety kicks in hard in some circumstances e.g. public speaking and even petty things like looking into peoples eyes when talking etc. I had a good childhood filled with love, infact I have had an overall very good life so far but there is always that thought of depression in my mind, some life experiences and events actually f@ck'd me up, but I feel selfish/stupid for having these weak negative thoughts when in reality I have nothing to worry about, these thoughts only hold me back and I know that but I have no idea how to conquer them, my goal for late 2018 was to be mentally and physically fit, that goal remains but I have not felt any progress.

My mother suffers from anxiety, although she is the happiest kindest most loving woman she told me a few years back she has it, and i read anxiety can be genetic. I always thought that my mum was a 'worrier' but as I got older i realised it was anxiety and her overthinking of situations and circumstances, the 'what if' method of thinking. I see those traits in myself now, currently, I look to the future and don't see much, I want to improve and be better but seem to have no guide, I want to be financially, mentally and physically stable but seem to lack that overall motivation, money and resources (im currently studying abroad in Portugal, originally from the UK).

I feel stuck in time, looking back at the past while living day to day in the present while worrying about the future.

I seem to always have these thoughts about getting help, but then I think to myself do I really have a mental issue or am I just a young man with a lot of thoughts and overthinking. Regardless, I believe I do have some sort of anxiety, there is a lot more I would like to express and go into detail but frankly I dont think anyone cares.

If anyone would want to discuss with me I would love it :)

many thanks,
-JP

Y

Yellowdiamond

It sounds like mild social anxiety or maybe gad. I would suggest u start by going to a therapist maybe kbt therapy. I could also suggest yoga, Always helps me with my thoughts. Then theres medication, ur lucky if u find something that suits u. And youre not alone in this.

Liza9560

Liza9560

Yes...a therapist and a psychiatrist will help you get to the bottom of things. To me, it sounds like a bit of OCD, too...with which I can commiserate.

It’s okay for people with “happy lives” to have issues with anxiety, depression, OCD, et al...took me a while to realize this. As Yellowdiamond said, you are definitely not alone. :)

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi and welcome.

I seem to always have these thoughts about getting help, but then I think to myself do I really have a mental issue or am I just a young man with a lot of thoughts and overthinking
I suggest you take it a step at a time and not try to predict any number of possible futures. A visit to the doctor is the most reliable way to get a diagnosis and once you know what you're dealing with, you can look over treatment options. If the idea of seeking a diagnosis is frightening, that's pretty common because anxiety works that way. It may be helpful to go with a friend.

If you find your thoughts about mental health are churning on what this and that will mean, remind yourself that treatment can mean a lot of things. The most important thing to imagine is what your life might be like were you not trying to live it whilst enduring the debilitating symptoms of anxiety.

O

Oneseedatatime

Hey all,

My situation is actually really confusing, at-least in my own head and eyes it is. My idea posting in this forum is just to go into some detail about my mental health over the last few years, get help understanding it and maybe try and improve overall.

So, i'm currently 20 years old but I have always overthought things, I feel like I analyse myself and others, I can understand peoples emotions really well and give the best advice but usually can't take my own. I always have that 'voice' in my head speaking to myself but also arguing with myself, as if there is a 'good and a bad' side - there is a voice of doubt also, anxiety kicks in hard in some circumstances e.g. public speaking and even petty things like looking into peoples eyes when talking etc. I had a good childhood filled with love, infact I have had an overall very good life so far but there is always that thought of depression in my mind, some life experiences and events actually f@ck'd me up, but I feel selfish/stupid for having these weak negative thoughts when in reality I have nothing to worry about, these thoughts only hold me back and I know that but I have no idea how to conquer them, my goal for late 2018 was to be mentally and physically fit, that goal remains but I have not felt any progress.

My mother suffers from anxiety, although she is the happiest kindest most loving woman she told me a few years back she has it, and i read anxiety can be genetic. I always thought that my mum was a 'worrier' but as I got older i realised it was anxiety and her overthinking of situations and circumstances, the 'what if' method of thinking. I see those traits in myself now, currently, I look to the future and don't see much, I want to improve and be better but seem to have no guide, I want to be financially, mentally and physically stable but seem to lack that overall motivation, money and resources (im currently studying abroad in Portugal, originally from the UK).

I feel stuck in time, looking back at the past while living day to day in the present while worrying about the future.

I seem to always have these thoughts about getting help, but then I think to myself do I really have a mental issue or am I just a young man with a lot of thoughts and overthinking. Regardless, I believe I do have some sort of anxiety, there is a lot more I would like to express and go into detail but frankly I dont think anyone cares.

many thanks,
-JP
Hello Purity!
Glad you have reached out to others for support. We are meant for fellowship and to bear one another's burdens so you have come to the right place. You have some good insight about yourself. Your concerns are understandable but please know that no one except a professional who builds a relationship with you, and evaluates you, can provide a true diagnosis, anything else would be a guess which can be very harmful.
I must point out that aside from being insightful you are doing great things; self evaluating, reaching out for support, in school and studying abroad, with goals of being financially, mentally, and physically stable! That is more than a lot of people can say! I am proud of you!
My daughter is 20 and it is not an easy stage in life. So many expectations, demands, pressures, hopes, dreams, and perceived limitations. She struggles with the same. Social media does not help either. I was 21 when I had her and I dealt with a lot then too. I will encourage you the way I do her. Give yourself grace, time, and room to just be in the here and now that you can never get back. Seek counseling that is aligned with your beliefs. Be proud of what you are doing! I am here to provide the best support I can and will include you in my prayers!

N

natalie

Hi Purity,

I'm afraid, that here at MHF, we cannot possibly diagnose you, if you are in Britain, please see a GP Doctor, who could then refer you on to a mental health unit department, or alternatively, contact if you're feeling depressed, crisis team, who are often located within the community mental health team, this would be your best bet either GP or CMHT, if you are in Britain, anywhere else in the world, sorry I can't advise.

Also, try to get some exercise in, 2 - 3 times a week, for an hour, and also try listening to some music. I do understand that within mental health problems, how easy it is, that via one mental health component, you're then suffering with another at the same time.

Best wishes.

N

natalie

By the way, Purity I do welcome you aboard, to Mental Health Forum.

N

NorasDad

Hey all,

many thanks,
-JP

In your life have you found yourself having trouble getting off topics?

If you remember something painful from the past, how long will you think about it typically?

C

Cherokee55

You should not ask for a remote diagnosis. So many circumstances play a role.
A counsellor can determine with a conversation whether a doctor needs to be visited or whether he/she can help you.

N

NorasDad

You should not ask for a remote diagnosis. So many circumstances play a role.
A counsellor can determine with a conversation whether a doctor needs to be visited or whether he/she can help you.
The problem is that healthcare systems are very uneven and hard to negotiate. The point is to take what amateurs say as advice. Bring what makes sense to you from forums like this to experts and get a fuller analysis. That's actually very useful.

When you're suffering in the dark you should ALWAYS reach out.