• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Destructive behaviors

A

annaw1978

How do I learn to change my coping behaviors? I am 30 years old and in times of extreme upset or worry I revert back to adolescent destructive behaviors that cause upset and worry to the people who love me. How I learn to cope in an adult fashion?

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
Hi Annaw1978,

Have you thought about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
CBT

Hi annaw1978,

I would suggest you speak to your GP about the availability of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy in your area.

For some people (I stress ''some''),CBT can be a positive experience though it does'nt necessarily work for everyone.

What the Therapist attempts to do over a number of weeks is try to break the downward cycle of thinking by challenging any negative or unhelpful thoughts you may have.
The Therapist will try to get the patient to base their behaviour on more realistic thoughts and assumptions.

The therapy would last around 6 weeks (if my memory serves me).

The Royal College of Psychiatrists offer some useful information on CBT:
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

Hopefully your GP will be able to point you in the right direction :)

S

*Sapphire*

Hi annaw

CBT may be the way to go, do ask about it.
However I have also gone through a treatment called Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), which really focus's on alternative behavioral strategies to the destructive ones, and is very practical. It is usually used for the treatment of BPD, however I have heard that persons with other diagnosis or similar issues have been been allowed access to the treatment. There is a website which explains the basics of DBT and offers practical alterative and healthier coping strategies to use which you might find helpful in the meantime.

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Depression Forum 4
B Depression Forum 1