Desperate!

ghost_girl80

ghost_girl80

the last time that i self harmed i ended up w/14 stitches & now i feel like i want to start again just to get some relief! i know that i shouldn't, but i can't drink or do anything like that so how do i find that relief & release that i so desperately need w/o hurting myself which is a rush for me & helps deal w/my mental health issues really...but i know that it's bad & not safe so what do i do? how do i talk myself out of this bc here lately it has been really bad! any advice pls?

K

Kathryn00

Hi ghost girl, I’m new here, haven’t even introduced myself yet so I hope you don’t mind me replying to you. May I ask, are you currently ok and safe?
I understand the feelings that you are currently having. Be kind to yourself, reaching out for help by posting is the right thing to do and a brave thing to do. Maybe talking through things would help.
Me personally I would contact my doctor or a mental health advisor/team. Are these options available to you? If so please do reach out to one or all of them for active help ASAP.
If you have a friend or family member that could be with you short term until these services start to help do contact them too. I do realise that often people don’t have this option available.
As for advice on how to stop what you are feeling right now have you thought about safe ways that you are able to get a similar rush? I am certainly not promoting hurting yourself in anyway and this maybe a ludicrous suggestion, I don’t know if it will work for you but have you tried pinching yourself, maybe a stinging nettle on your arm may shift the focus, give you some of the feeling you crave until you are able to seek help.
Please let us know how you are when you are able. I will be here throughout the day if you would like to talk through,vent or even shout about how you are feeling.
I know it feels impossible right now but I can assure you that these feelings will pass in time, you just need to find a way to stay safe until they do. I try to focus on this when I have troubled times and have found that it helps.
Another suggestion that I was not aware of until recently but you are able to call the police to come and sit with you. This maybe an area thing though but worth a check. A family member called the police out to me mistakingly thinking I was going to take my own life, I was in a terrible state of mind but was not intending to act on it and doing my best to get through it. They came and I explained that I knew that this would pass so I just need to get through the hours until then but it’s hard with family members shouting at you. I apologised for them being called out. Two officers sat me down and explained to me that they are all trained in mental health now and when feeling like this you are able to call them out to come and sit, chat to you and they can help to get other services involved to help you. Even if services are involved but just that they are not answering the phone they will happily come until they do and longer if needed. I was surprised and thought that they were really lovely.
I hope this helps
Big hugs to you x

ghost_girl80

ghost_girl80

Hi ghost girl, I’m new here, haven’t even introduced myself yet so I hope you don’t mind me replying to you. May I ask, are you currently ok and safe?
I understand the feelings that you are currently having. Be kind to yourself, reaching out for help by posting is the right thing to do and a brave thing to do. Maybe talking through things would help.
Me personally I would contact my doctor or a mental health advisor/team. Are these options available to you? If so please do reach out to one or all of them for active help ASAP.
If you have a friend or family member that could be with you short term until these services start to help do contact them too. I do realise that often people don’t have this option available.
As for advice on how to stop what you are feeling right now have you thought about safe ways that you are able to get a similar rush? I am certainly not promoting hurting yourself in anyway and this maybe a ludicrous suggestion, I don’t know if it will work for you but have you tried pinching yourself, maybe a stinging nettle on your arm may shift the focus, give you some of the feeling you crave until you are able to seek help.
Please let us know how you are when you are able. I will be here throughout the day if you would like to talk through,vent or even shout about how you are feeling.
I know it feels impossible right now but I can assure you that these feelings will pass in time, you just need to find a way to stay safe until they do. I try to focus on this when I have troubled times and have found that it helps.
Another suggestion that I was not aware of until recently but you are able to call the police to come and sit with you. This maybe an area thing though but worth a check. A family member called the police out to me mistakingly thinking I was going to take my own life, I was in a terrible state of mind but was not intending to act on it and doing my best to get through it. They came and I explained that I knew that this would pass so I just need to get through the hours until then but it’s hard with family members shouting at you. I apologised for them being called out. Two officers sat me down and explained to me that they are all trained in mental health now and when feeling like this you are able to call them out to come and sit, chat to you and they can help to get other services involved to help you. Even if ser
vices are involved but just that they are not answering the phone they will happily come until they do and longer if needed. I was surprised and thought that they were really lovely.
I hope this helps
Big hugs to you x
Ty for the good advice! What you said about feelings passing really helped me & reminded me that I have been through worse & finally got through those things so what makes me think that I can't get through this? Last night I chatted on the suicide prevention hotline & that helped me some. It's HERE if you want check it out. I don't think the police do that where I am at because one night my mom called them because I threatened to shoot myself & they just came & went so idk about that. Ty again for the advice & encouragement! How are you btw?

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

It can be intense, the only thing I can say is you are just the same as anyone else, I think it's called DBT in the US. It's about challenging self-harm behaviours, no your not attention seeking, you just can't help it. Do you find that you self-harm without realising that you're actually doing it?

ghost_girl80

ghost_girl80

yes i have self harmed without thinking & then i look down & go oh my god what did i just do! DBT? the last time i did that i got 14 stitches!

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

with panic anxiety, it's often the fact not looking at the long term, & life does go by quickly, & it is a lot learning about being patient in life, these things can't resolve over night, it's about using the power of conscious thinking to overcome the urges, but it will take time.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I call it my anxiety monster, controlling my behaviour, I know consciously it isn't right, the thing is that anxiety enjoys a fight, but learning patience & self control, maybe even learning a martial art, can overcome it.