Desperate, need help please.

S

SystemShock

Hi you you all, thank you for having this place where anybody can look for help and advice

I have a situation with my wife I don’t know how to handle anymore.

I love my wife, more than anything. She’s sweet and incredibly noble, been friends for almost two decades, five as a couple, two married.

However lately she’s been having fits of mania, specially characterized by gaming addiction. This has been affecting her life: barely sleeping, bad mood if not playing, no motivation in her work. Every time I’ve tried to talk with her about it she gets extremely defensive yet she recognizes it’s a problem. She changes a couple of days just to come back with vengeance.

All her life she’s been taking meds to help her cope with anxiety and depression. She used to have schizoid episodes as teenager and young adult, later she was diagnosed with BD. Her first years she took a lot of meds but for the last 7 she’s been only on alprazolam for anxiety and Prozac for depression.

I don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t know how to help her. Please, any advise will be welcomed.

T

Twokiwisandabanana

make sure she wants help before offering it.
There's really nothing you can do.

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
The lack of sleep is the most troubling thing you mentioned. Would she see her dr about this?

Her gaming is her way of coping with the mania, it's a secondary issue.

I think a good dr would recognize the mania and prescribe a mood stabilizer as mania can get really really out of hand far beyond obsessive gaming.

She knows she is struggling so you don't need to point the gaming out to her.