• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Describeing how I feel to MH professionals

angrydad

angrydad

At the moment, sectioned in a secure unit, I have many meetings with primary carers and pdocs etc, who all ask the question: "How do you feel?"

I ahve to say that I find this extremely difficult to answer. Without trying to spark a philosophical debate about the meaning of words, how do others on the forum go about describing hoe they feel using the words that we all know, such as: depressed, high, low, etc.

I quite often don't seem to know what sort of mood I'm in so I find it difficult to say.

megirl

megirl

I think you need to tell them exactly how you feel. PLEASE dont fall in the trap and try tell them what YOU think you ought to tell them, or what you think they want to hear.
I have fallen in that trap and thats where I am at the moment. And believe me its not pretty.
I am currently going through hell because of my overwhelming desire to please others and tell people what they want to hear.
My last psych appt my psych said to me "you seem so calm"
I was calm alright all I have been thinking about in the last three weeks is death, but did I tell her that Oh no. Did I tell her I cant do this anymore and I cant stop crying? God no??? Me being the 'perfect' patient said "Yes I am calmer etc"
So what if I had been put in hospital so what? I might be feeling a bit better by now. Had I been honest.

I am sorry if I waffle but I just hope you can get something out of what I told you.
Dont be ashamed of how you feel and honesty is always the best policy then they can really help you.
All the best

angrydad

angrydad

I know what you mean about telling people what you think they want to hear. That's a short route down a dead-end. I think you always have to be as honest as you can be given the constraints of your current symptoms.

My problem, specifically, is that I seem to feel different to how MH professional seem to think I am. For example, yesterday my primary carer asked me how I was feeling and told him I felt calm and stable BUT he seemed to suggest to me that I was in fact anxious and perhaps moving towards mania. Now I didn't feel that way and I answered as honestly as possible BUT I seemed to have missed what my REAL mood was. This makes me wonder how accuratly we understand our moods when we are talking to pdocs etc.

Anybody else think this way?

megirl

megirl

Bugger!
Thats quite confusing. However sometimes I feel anxious in front of my psych even when I had been feeling fine beforehand. Its like situational anxiety. Just like I will get angry with my support worker AND swear at her, but I never swear at the psych. Maybe thats what bipolar is.
Like you say maybe even though you think your mood is one way its actually different to how we percieve it to be.
Its a hard one I hope others can give some better advice cos I would love to understand that better myself.

S

suzy

I hate it when they say do you have thoughts of harming yourself/suidicidal thoughts when you say you feel down

angrydad

angrydad

I hate it when they say do you have thoughts of harming yourself/suidicidal thoughts when you say you feel down
I know what you mean, it's as if they have decided that being "Low" naturally equals Suicide!

Very anoying

dib4uk

dib4uk

I think that its best bet to tell them exactly how you are feeling regardless of how you are feeling. True low doesnt mean suidical but i think that it is a pointer to that. Maybe the MHT see something within you that you cant tell them? does that make any sense at all?

D

Deremna

I know what you mean, it's as if they have decided that being "Low" naturally equals Suicide!

Very anoying
I am weird.. I'll tell my psychologist about my thoughts of suicide but not my psychiatrist. I think it's because I am far more comfortable around my psychologist. It's like I pick and choose who gets to hear how I'm really feeling. I need to stop doing that as I realize it's counterproductive. I'm just afraid my psychiatrist will drop me if he knows I think about harming myself and others.

dib4uk

dib4uk

I am weird.. I'll tell my psychologist about my thoughts of suicide but not my psychiatrist. I think it's because I am far more comfortable around my psychologist. It's like I pick and choose who gets to hear how I'm really feeling. I need to stop doing that as I realize it's counterproductive. I'm just afraid my psychiatrist will drop me if he knows I think about harming myself and others.
No your not weird, i struggle with telling my psychiatrist exactly what is going on for me, i have issues regarding trust, and if the psych changes all the time its very hard to build up trust. I do that as well i only tell what they wish to hear, and dont worry so much with the self harming the doctor wont drop you for it. Just try and to be honest and open with them, i klnow how hard it is.

angrydad

angrydad

Sorry it's takenme so long to get bak on this thread but I've been allowed home visits and I've been taking advantage.

I think what I was trying to convey in my original post was the it often surprises me that my mood, as I understand it, and how MH professional perceve it, is quite different. So it worries me that a) I'm do not have the ability to see what mood I'm in, or b) that MH professionals see me in a different way than I see myself.

It seems to me that this is a problem, certainlt for mw at least, if I am in some way unable to convey how I think I feel to, say, a CPN

I hope I'm not muddying the waters here but I'm quite confused about this issue

dib4uk

dib4uk

Sorry it's takenme so long to get bak on this thread but I've been allowed home visits and I've been taking advantage.

I think what I was trying to convey in my original post was the it often surprises me that my mood, as I understand it, and how MH professional perceve it, is quite different. So it worries me that a) I'm do not have the ability to see what mood I'm in, or b) that MH professionals see me in a different way than I see myself.

It seems to me that this is a problem, certainlt for mw at least, if I am in some way unable to convey how I think I feel to, say, a CPN

I hope I'm not muddying the waters here but I'm quite confused about this issue
Aww dont be sorry, confusing gets the better of us, and me all the time. You cant help the way you think or feel and sometimes its hard to convey what a person really feels to someone else. Hope you get to where emotionally that your going to.

M

maudikie

Ask them how they feel, and how they would feel if they were you!
Keep your chin up.