• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dermatillomania.

• Thread starter Sapphirepenguin9900
  • Start date
S

Sapphirepenguin9900

I know this is a disorder in itself but I thought I would post here as I'm pretty sure it relates to my OCD. I literally cannot stop engaging in dermatillomania. This is become a huge problem because I suddenly developed acne 2 years ago at the age of 20.

I've always had pretty clear skin but for some reason I started getting the odd blind pimple. The problem was I kept squeezing and picking at them until they were a mess. Then I started getting patches of these really tiny pin sized spots on my face which I can't stop squeezing.

My face is a mess now, I have a load of hyper pigmentation (brown scarring) and scabs on my face, as well as spots. It's making me really insecure. I even seem to pick at things absent mindedly like I'll be sat there with my hands going across my face feeling everything. I don't know what to do because I feel like I need to do it to calm me down (It's soothing). Also its like my brain tells me it will go quicker if I pick at it, which obviously isn't true. I'm pretty sure I'm making the acne worse by touching my face aswell.

I even bought these acne tools to use, but I have now thrown them away because it wasn't healthy. Anyone else experienced this? How do I stop?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You need to stop picking
cleanse tone moisturiser
healthy diet
exercise
no stress

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

yeah I have a whole skin care routine that I'm pretty much sure would actually be helpful if I kept my hands off my face. It's just really hard to stop though especially when I'm stressed as I no longer see the point in caring about it. I find wearing gloves helps but I obviously can't wear them all the time.

I also try to cover it up with make up but that's making my acne worse as I use so much. I just feel stuck :/

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

There’s a lot of things in life that are habit-forming. I remember as young teenager I would do the same. The only thing that help me get over the stage was eating better I found eating better helped my skin. Do you go to therapy?

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

There’s a lot of things in life that are habit-forming. I remember as young teenager I would do the same. The only thing that help me get over the stage was eating better I found eating better helped my skin. Do you go to therapy?
No I don't go to therapy, I was refereed but then lock down happened and it never happened.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

You should try to reach out, even if you just find help on the internet. It’s starting something ya know. I found medication and counseling to help my self esteem when I felt insecure. I have picked my face and still do but I manage better. I’m also older now and break out less. Just try to avoid scarring.

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

You should try to reach out, even if you just find help on the internet. It’s starting something ya know. I found medication and counseling to help my self esteem when I felt insecure. I have picked my face and still do but I manage better. I’m also older now and break out less. Just try to avoid scarring.
yes, there is a self referral online I can do so I don't even have to go to the doctors. So I might do that. Luckily I don't scar easy and when I do it fades relatively quickly.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

yes, there is a self referral online I can do so I don't even have to go to the doctors. So I might do that. Luckily I don't scar easy and when I do it fades relatively quickly.
That’s good! Tell us how it goes. Take a look around the forum to I see you’ve been posting 😀

Opalescence

Opalescence

I've been doing this for 30 years. I pick at my lips. I mostly do it while actually doing something else like reading or watching TV.
I don't give a fuck anymore that my lips always look cracked and that they're scarred. I always have lip balm on when I go outside so it looks slightly better.
I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It's a very difficult thing to stop.

Opalescence

Opalescence

It's called bfrb. Body focused repetitive behavior. It's in the dsm-5 in the ocd section but for me personally I feel it's more an impulse control disorder thingy.

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

I've been doing this for 30 years. I pick at my lips. I mostly do it while actually doing something else like reading or watching TV.
I don't give a fuck anymore that my lips always look cracked and that they're scarred. I always have lip balm on when I go outside so it looks slightly better.
I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It's a very difficult thing to stop.
Yeah I was even doing it while reading these replies. So annoying.

Opalescence

Opalescence

A therapist from a long time ago once told me you get rid of excess energy through your fingertips and that the picking might be a way of relieving stress. I found that a very plausible explanation.

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

A therapist from a long time ago once told me you get rid of excess energy through your fingertips and that the picking might be a way of relieving stress. I found that a very plausible explanation.
Yeah that sounds likely. I'm a very fidgety person too. Always have been.

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

One thing that doesn’t help is my family keep pointing it out saying it looks horrible and to stop. It makes me more stressed and then I end up doing it more. How can I explain to them I can’t help it?