Derealisation

A

Ala

I experienced derealisation as a teenager several times but it became very rare for many years. But from about age 70 (now 79) it became more frequent, and I can always identify a sensory stimulus which brings it on, most commonly noise such as in a crowded place, and my immediate instinct is to rush away until it wears off (usually after a few minutes). I started on Lamotrigine (low dose) having seen a doctor, which seems to have helped but whenever I’m out, particularly if I have to be in a particular place with no easy escape route, I’m always on edge and unable to concentrate properly on what’s going on. I’m terrified of having to be at or near the front at any large gathering such as a wedding or funeral, and I hate long journeys. I’ve had some CBT which I think has helped a bit. Any suggestions?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya. That is really upsetting for you. All I can suggest is to avoid crowds as much as possible. But that isn't always possible I know. As for weddings or funerals, can you ask to be near an exit? It takes planning your life in more detail which is a pain in the neck, and maybe if you have to supermarket shop, going online to shop instead?

But that doesn't get to the root of the problem does it? Do you know what thoughts you have before it happens, what triggers internally occur? I learnt something called chain analysis where you look at the trigger thought and chase it backwards. So you look at the thought before that, the event before that and find out the root cause of that thought. (Does any of this make sense - I'm not explaining it very well). Once you find the root thought, you look at that clearly and work out what to do with it. But its finding out that bit at the end of the chain of thoughts that started this reaction off.

Usually Mindfulness, practised daily, can help. I can start you off with that, but you need a good teacher (a good one mind) who can teach you it better.

How do I start practicing mindfulness? | Mental Health Forum

A

Ala

Hiya. That is really upsetting for you. All I can suggest is to avoid crowds as much as possible. But that isn't always possible I know. As for weddings or funerals, can you ask to be near an exit? It takes planning your life in more detail which is a pain in the neck, and maybe if you have to supermarket shop, going online to shop instead?

But that doesn't get to the root of the problem does it? Do you know what thoughts you have before it happens, what triggers internally occur? I learnt something called chain analysis where you look at the trigger thought and chase it backwards. So you look at the thought before that, the event before that and find out the root cause of that thought. (Does any of this make sense - I'm not explaining it very well). Once you find the root thought, you look at that clearly and work out what to do with it. But its finding out that bit at the end of the chain of thoughts that started this reaction off.

Usually Mindfulness, practised daily, can help. I can start you off with that, but you need a good teacher (a good one mind) who can teach you it better.

How do I start practicing mindfulness? | Mental Health Forum
Thanks for that. It’s nothing to do with a train of thoughts, I can always identify a sensory stimulus. In recent years it’s mostly been sound, when in an environment like a party with lots of chatter going on all around. Another example is light; it happened several times when I used to play table tennis, and I’m sure it was the effect of watching a little white ball for half an hour or so. Another is temperature, it’s happened several times going from a warm building into much colder air outside. So I try to avoid such things as far as I reasonably can, but I know the “flight not fight” syndrome is not recommended.

calypso

calypso

Admin
That is fascinating. I've never come across this before. I don't know what to suggest to combat it but therapy which might be able to help you. I hope others will be along to suggest something which might be of more help. Keep writing to us.