• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression

M

Meryl

I am seeing my psychiatrist this week I don't know why I am bothering to go he has already decided about me that I am self destructive and attention seeking my psychiatrist and my mental health could have the meeting without me I reckon I have gotten worse over the last six months but I won't do me any good because he won't believe me

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hey, sorry you've not had a reply yet Meryl. :hug1:
When is your appointment?
I'm sorry that your psychiatrist has taken this view of you. It's incredibly upsetting and frustrating when a professional seems to have already made their mind up about you and there's nothing you can do about it.

I know it might sound like a bold move and it's only something to consider, but how would you feel about telling your psychiatrist that you feel this way?
Because even if it doesn't change the way the treat or view you, I think it's important that pdocs know when their attitude is creating barriers and making you feel that any communication you attempt is pointless.

Also, i'm sure you've already thought about this, but you are entitled to change your psychiatrist.

M

Meryl

I saw my psychiatrist today and he has taken me off his list he reckons it is not worth me seeing him because I won't tell him anything I heard my mental health is going as we'll he said it is not worth it to see her either

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Are you feeling disappointed about his decision, Meryl?
I don't think it's fair that they should stop offering to help you at all.
There are options like talking to PALS or visiting your GP again if you want help but from a different doctor/care co-ordinator.
I hope you're feeling ok and not too deflated about this.

M

Meryl

I am angry why did he not tell me six months ago that he was taking me off his list i would not have bothered going today if that was the case why could my cpn not told me she should have told me about it I am angry with her as we'll lucky I am not seeing her for three weeks she said we will talk about what it means then

pepecat

pepecat

You sound from your posts that you want help....... how come you don't tell the psych anything? He/she might be able to refer you on for further help, but only if they have an idea of what's going on for you.

M

Meryl

I did not tell my psychiatrist anything because as soon as I opened my mouth he decided that I was attention seeking and self destructive so why would I tell him anything

katya

katya

I did not tell my psychiatrist anything because as soon as I opened my mouth he decided that I was attention seeking and self destructive so why would I tell him anything
I literally tilted my head at this post, thinking... "That's not what a psychiatrist is supposed to do!"

I'm so sorry you've had this experience; that must be awful. You need a psychiatrist who's going to listen to your thoughts and feelings - that is their fucking job, after all.

It is very worthwhile and fruitful (with the right support) for you to talk about your feelings; it's a must because you should never suffer in silence, and I hope you can meet a psychiatrist who isn't going to shoot you down very, very soon.

Did you get in touch with this person through your GP? If so, I'd go back to your GP and tell them it didn't work and you need to see someone else.

Don't let the bastards grind you down. :hug1:

katya

katya

Having said that - on reflection....

(And I'm adding this because I'm feeling well negative at the moment and I don't think I was seeing things clearly myself when I did that last post...)

It's important to remember, as well, that when we're depressed, we tend to see things from a very negative point of view. Are you absolutely sure you're not perceiving a negative air from this man, which maybe wasn't intended? Would it be worth talking it through with him?

valleygirl

valleygirl

It sounds like you feel your psychiatrist has just written you off without trying to get to know you, and that makes it hard for you to trust him. He doesn't seem like a very empathetic person. In my opinion, your psychiatrist should be willing to listen to you before making blanket statements like that. Have you thought about trying to get in to see a different psychiatrist? Maybe this one is just a really bad personality match.

M

Meryl

No I won't go and see a psychiatrist it is not worth it I am giving up on life I am not seeing anyone I have been thinking about this for months

katya

katya

No I won't go and see a psychiatrist it is not worth it I am giving up on life I am not seeing anyone I have been thinking about this for months
You mustn't think like that; I know it doesn't seem like it, or feel like it, at the moment, but there is always hope. It's okay to feel how you are feeling - it really is, because you need to process what you're feeling - but don't let those feelings cloud your rational judgement. Your rational mind (free from all these negative emotions, which are brought about by illness) would probably tell you that there is hope - there is a doctor out there who can help you (really help you) - and that the best thing for you is to keep going. No-one's expecting you to be 100% okay straight away, and you shouldn't feel pressured to feel like that; but you can get through this, and you will. Please be kind to yourself.

:hug1:

M

Meryl

If I say anything about my mental health or my health they all say I am attention seeking so that's why I am not saying anything at all to any of them

katya

katya

If I say anything about my mental health or my health they all say I am attention seeking so that's why I am not saying anything at all to any of them
I can understand why you wouldn't want to speak to them if they're making you feel like that. It totally undermines what you're feeling! You clearly want someone to listen to you. I hope you can get that soon. There are doctors out there who will. I hope you can find one maybe when your faith in the system is restored a bit, or at least you feel ready to give it another shot. Not every doctor is going to be as bad as these have been!!