• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depression & work

G

gemini_angel

I don't know what to do anymore. I have had my same job for almost 2 years now but the stress from this type of work environment is not helping me any. I work in a close custody prison for men as a secretary for 2 housing units (segregation & mental health units). I do have contact with inmates on a daily basis. Most of the inmates are tolerable except for the ones that are in segregation and can only come out of their cells for approximately 1 hour per day. These inmates are very disrespectable, especially to female staff. At the same time I have a supervisor that is a "micro-manager" and makes me feel as though I cannot take time off even to go to a doctor appointment. I have been trying to find another job but jobs are scarce in the area. I honestly don't know if I can keep working here without it making my depression worse. I hope this makes sense because I have had "brain fog" for about a year now & am not sure if I'm explaining this right.

N

Nutter_09

Hi,
I totally understand how you feel. Can you talk to your manager or another supervisor about how you feel?
I have now left my job as I was so ddepressed - everyone said that health is more important, but I am now struggling financially so I think If you can stay, it would be better financially and also it gives you a routine. But then, if you are really unhappy you can't carry on.
Have you spoken to a doctor?

PlaceboEffect

PlaceboEffect

Wow, I think that's a really brave job for you to do! Well done on coping this long with it...Honestly I don't know if I could. I think you should go to the doctor anyway and see what he/she recommends because you have to think of yourself not others. If this job is really affecting your mental health then ou either need to find a different way to cope with it or move on. Some people seem to forget depression is a disease too- your boss wouldn't shun you if you had a heart problem so why should depression be any different?

The bottom line is you've got to do what's best for you.

PlaceboEffect

G

gemini_angel

I went to the doctor last Monday & he is increasing my Paxil to 20mg a day. And I can't just quit my job without another job because of my finances. Hopefully the meds will help me cope until I can find something else. I just don't want to get any worse.

PlaceboEffect

PlaceboEffect

I don't know about where you're from but in the UK if you get a sick note from your doctor you still get paid while you're off? Does that not happen where you are?

G

gemini_angel

I'm in the United States. I wish that happened here.

With my employer each month I accumulate sick & vacation time that I can take off when I want or need to. Each month I accumulate a little over 7 hours. When I use that time to replace my hours I didn't work I get paid for it but once that time is used up then I won't get paid. Yesterday I was out because I was crying so much & I used my sick time for it so I will get paid. Now I only have 8 hours of sick time left and about 40 hours of vacation time left. I work 40 hours a week so if I missed a week of work I would be almost completely out of time I could take off & still get paid.

Problem with this is my boss is such a :evil: that I feel guilty when I need to be off.