• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depression & work

G

gemini_angel

I don't know what to do anymore. I have had my same job for almost 2 years now but the stress from this type of work environment is not helping me any. I work in a close custody prison for men as a secretary for 2 housing units (segregation & mental health units). I do have contact with inmates on a daily basis. Most of the inmates are tolerable except for the ones that are in segregation and can only come out of their cells for approximately 1 hour per day. These inmates are very disrespectable, especially to female staff. At the same time I have a supervisor that is a "micro-manager" and makes me feel as though I cannot take time off even to go to a doctor appointment. I have been trying to find another job but jobs are scarce in the area. I honestly don't know if I can keep working here without it making my depression worse. I hope this makes sense because I have had "brain fog" for about a year now & am not sure if I'm explaining this right.

N

Nutter_09

Hi,
I totally understand how you feel. Can you talk to your manager or another supervisor about how you feel?
I have now left my job as I was so ddepressed - everyone said that health is more important, but I am now struggling financially so I think If you can stay, it would be better financially and also it gives you a routine. But then, if you are really unhappy you can't carry on.
Have you spoken to a doctor?

PlaceboEffect

PlaceboEffect

Wow, I think that's a really brave job for you to do! Well done on coping this long with it...Honestly I don't know if I could. I think you should go to the doctor anyway and see what he/she recommends because you have to think of yourself not others. If this job is really affecting your mental health then ou either need to find a different way to cope with it or move on. Some people seem to forget depression is a disease too- your boss wouldn't shun you if you had a heart problem so why should depression be any different?

The bottom line is you've got to do what's best for you.

PlaceboEffect

G

gemini_angel

I went to the doctor last Monday & he is increasing my Paxil to 20mg a day. And I can't just quit my job without another job because of my finances. Hopefully the meds will help me cope until I can find something else. I just don't want to get any worse.

PlaceboEffect

PlaceboEffect

I don't know about where you're from but in the UK if you get a sick note from your doctor you still get paid while you're off? Does that not happen where you are?

G

gemini_angel

I'm in the United States. I wish that happened here.

With my employer each month I accumulate sick & vacation time that I can take off when I want or need to. Each month I accumulate a little over 7 hours. When I use that time to replace my hours I didn't work I get paid for it but once that time is used up then I won't get paid. Yesterday I was out because I was crying so much & I used my sick time for it so I will get paid. Now I only have 8 hours of sick time left and about 40 hours of vacation time left. I work 40 hours a week so if I missed a week of work I would be almost completely out of time I could take off & still get paid.

Problem with this is my boss is such a :evil: that I feel guilty when I need to be off.