• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depression & Work

N

NYS

New here, was just hoping for some advice as I'm not sure how I can continue. I've suffered with depression & anxiety most of my life, been up & down, meds, therapy, counselling, workshops, meditation, self-help etc I've tried it all.

Over recent years I've been better but still it never seems to go away.
I hate my job, everyday is a struggle & it's not just this job it's most jobs I've had. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to be doing with my life but I also feel like I don't want to do anything. I have absolutely no purpose no passion no talent no calling. I'm not much of a people person & I don't really know what I'm doing here I just try not to think too far ahead & live on autopilot.

I'm not even sure if this post makes sense as I'm finding it hard to articulate how I'm feeling but I'm just drained & deflated & can't believe this is is, this is just how life is?

S

SadRainbow

Former member
Hello and welcome to the forum 🙂

I'm sorry you're having such a miserable time. Depression really does make life painfully difficult. A job you hate isn't going to help anything. Are you getting treatment at the moment? Do you have supportive friends and family? Do you have any hobbies or pastimes you enjoy? I would try to focus on anything good in your life and to spend as much time on those things as you can.

jaofao

jaofao

I relate to you so much in the sense that I hate my jobs and know no purpose. It seems a pretty common issue of depressed people.

This is no advice because it may not be good for you, just my story that I'd like to share. I quit my job and am freelancing. I'm still getting used to this new lifestyle and everything has pros and cons, but at least I'm mentally redeemed.

B

Bod

Former member
New here, was just hoping for some advice as I'm not sure how I can continue. I've suffered with depression & anxiety most of my life, been up & down, meds, therapy, counselling, workshops, meditation, self-help etc I've tried it all.

Over recent years I've been better but still it never seems to go away.
I hate my job, everyday is a struggle & it's not just this job it's most jobs I've had. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to be doing with my life but I also feel like I don't want to do anything. I have absolutely no purpose no passion no talent no calling. I'm not much of a people person & I don't really know what I'm doing here I just try not to think too far ahead & live on autopilot.

I'm not even sure if this post makes sense as I'm finding it hard to articulate how I'm feeling but I'm just drained & deflated & can't believe this is is, this is just how life is?

Hello NYS, welcome to the forum I am sorry that you are suffering and can relate to being on Auto pilot as sometimes I feel like a zombie just wandering around this strange world. Sadly depression takes everything from us when we suffer badly and we just lose our motivation to do anything at all, some do cope with meds or talking in therapy to try and feel just a bit of happiness while some can not find it helpful at all so we have to really slow things down very slowly and just take very small baby steps. It could be just getting out of bed having a shower then maybe a walk, or maybe tidy up a bit of our homes as long as we try and push our selfs to manage just one small thing that could help. I do hope that you will settle here and find it supportive as we are all caring to each and everyone member.

N

NYS

Hello and welcome to the forum 🙂

I'm sorry you're having such a miserable time. Depression really does make life painfully difficult. A job you hate isn't going to help anything. Are you getting treatment at the moment? Do you have supportive friends and family? Do you have any hobbies or pastimes you enjoy? I would try to focus on anything good in your life and to spend as much time on those things as you can.

Thanks you so much for your reply.
I'm not in any treatment as my last doctor told me I had 'exhausted all options' which actually made me feel 100x worse. I've picked myself back up many times & I always seem to mange but just tired of scraping by each day. I've lost interest in most things now but I am trying to plan things so I have something to look forward to :)

S

SadRainbow

Former member
Thanks you so much for your reply.
I'm not in any treatment as my last doctor told me I had 'exhausted all options' which actually made me feel 100x worse. I've picked myself back up many times & I always seem to mange but just tired of scraping by each day. I've lost interest in most things now but I am trying to plan things so I have something to look forward to :)
Wow I'm really sorry your doctor said that - that's really disheartening! He didn't even suggest newer treatments like Esketamine? Or even ECT? Can you afford any private treatment?

I understand what it's like to lose interest in things but it's really good you're still trying. Is there anything new you might like to give a go? A sport or other hobby?

N

NYS

I relate to you so much in the sense that I hate my jobs and know no purpose. It seems a pretty common issue of depressed people.

This is no advice because it may not be good for you, just my story that I'd like to share. I quit my job and am freelancing. I'm still getting used to this new lifestyle and everything has pros and cons, but at least I'm mentally redeemed.

Thank you so much for your reply.
I'm so glad you made that change for yourself that's a huge step to take & very inspiring!
I would love to quit but fear I'd end up in yet another soul destroying Admin job because I've never done anything else. Would love to take some time & try completely different roles would happily volunteer or take a low paying job if it was something I actually enjoyed but I just can't afford to. Feels like I'm trapped in an everlasting cycle of misery!

N

NYS

Hello NYS, welcome to the forum I am sorry that you are suffering and can relate to being on Auto pilot as sometimes I feel like a zombie just wandering around this strange world. Sadly depression takes everything from us when we suffer badly and we just lose our motivation to do anything at all, some do cope with meds or talking in therapy to try and feel just a bit of happiness while some can not find it helpful at all so we have to really slow things down very slowly and just take very small baby steps. It could be just getting out of bed having a shower then maybe a walk, or maybe tidy up a bit of our homes as long as we try and push our selfs to manage just one small thing that could help. I do hope that you will settle here and find it supportive as we are all caring to each and everyone member.

Hi Bod, thanks so much for replying.
That's exactly right! I don't even feel like a real person most days. That is great advice & currently how I'm coping, some days I have to break it down into hours & just focus on getting through the next one & then the next one. Trying not to feel too bad if I can't manage all the things I need to do but being happy if I manage one or 2 small things. Some days I'm super productive & others I can barely bring myself to shower. Joining this feels like a great decision already, thank you :)

N

NYS

Wow I'm really sorry your doctor said that - that's really disheartening! He didn't even suggest newer treatments like Esketamine? Or even ECT? Can you afford any private treatment?

I understand what it's like to lose interest in things but it's really good you're still trying. Is there anything new you might like to give a go? A sport or other hobby?

It really was, I was hopig he would suggest something new but I just felt like a huge inconvenience. I would like to try ECT, definitely need to learn more about it. I can't afford to go private but I am looking at other options as I've not had much luck with NHS unfortunately. In my head I would like to try new things but my anxiety also tells me being home alone is the best option which I know is untrue! I went through a phase of being more sociable & i enjoyed it but now I've regressed. One step at a time I think.
Thanks so much

S

SadRainbow

Former member
Unfortunately you have to be really pushy and assertive to get anywhere with the NHS! Yes baby steps is wise - small, achievable goals 🙂