• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression Triggers

A

AMAK88

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I feel that I'm spiralling into depression again and I don't know what to do. It was just before Christmas that I went to a hospital consultation with my mother and was told that she was dying and only had a matter of time left. I'm currently off sick from work as I can't handle the stress of it all. I've always felt the depression sort of lingering, dormant, almost, but feel that this news has triggered me and now I feel even worse. Plus, everyone's saying 'Happy New Year' to everyone and the only thing on my mind is my mother's imminent death. It's very difficult to talk about and I don't feel anyone truly understands the extent of it all. It's overwhelming and I don't know how to deal with it.

katya

katya

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

But please don't worry about not knowing how to handle it; the loss of a parent is something no-one really knows how to deal with when it's their turn. It sounds as though you've had a few issues before this too which also need to be addressed, so it's no wonder that you feel overwhelmed at the moment. I'm glad you've come to the forum to express these feelings rather than keeping them bottled up.

Are you able to spend any time with family members who are close to your mum? They'll be able to understand you better than anyone at this time.

I'd also make an appointment with your GP as soon as possible, and tell him/her what you've told us; s/he might be able to prescribe you something and/or send you to counselling to help combat your depression.

M

Mastiff mom

You've got some heavy burdens on your plate and my heart goes out to you. I can also relate to your experience with depression-- feeling it lingering just below the surface, then the downward spiral. Grief is such a powerful emotion. We just lost my husband's mother to cancer a few months ago but I had a really good therapist to talk to and it helped. Do you have enough support? Please take care of yourself so you can really be there for your mom. Keeping you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

A

AMAK88

I've been to my GP who has recommended I apply for power of attorney (and if it's overwhelming to see a therapist) to sort out the inevitable costs but my mother is still a bit hesitant about this. She has her good and bad days and on the latter I feel that the cloud descends and I'm already grieving before anything has even happened. I've been on antidepressants on the past but had to be taken off them due to bad reactions but I feel that distracting myself through creative means really helps and takes my mind off of things. So, I've been trying to balance this and see my mother as much as I can to support her at this hard time.

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I hope everything is okay now. Thanks very much for your help and support.

katya

katya

I've been to my GP who has recommended I apply for power of attorney (and if it's overwhelming to see a therapist) to sort out the inevitable costs but my mother is still a bit hesitant about this. She has her good and bad days and on the latter I feel that the cloud descends and I'm already grieving before anything has even happened. I've been on antidepressants on the past but had to be taken off them due to bad reactions but I feel that distracting myself through creative means really helps and takes my mind off of things. So, I've been trying to balance this and see my mother as much as I can to support her at this hard time.

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I hope everything is okay now. Thanks very much for your help and support.
I'm glad you have something that takes your mind off things; being creative is so good for your mental health. Wish you all the best at this time. Also there might be other medications you could go on which don't react badly in your body?