• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depression to Happiness using these tips

Lucy87x

Lucy87x

Hi all last week I was in a very deep depression after alot happening all at once in a short space of time I felt overwhlemed and I went into.a dark place yet again! but I am feeling a hell.of alot better these past few days and dare.I say it even happy! these are.the things I did to get out of my dark place which I thought may be helpful for.someome.

1. I opened up to friends and some family members about my depression as I usually hide it due to stigma, not wanting to he judged, embarrassment etc and what a weight of my mind telling people and being supported and being my true self it feels wonderful.

2. Stopped drinking alcohol and gambling as they were short term releases causing long term.problems and as we know.make depresion/anxiety worse and can stop medication working.

3. Spoke to my Doctor and increased my antidepressants from 20mg to.30mg

4. Met up with friends instead of hiding in the house or bed.

5. Joined this group as wanted to address my mental health snd help others.

6. Joined a slimming group as needed to accept needed help and cant lose weight by myself.

7. Had free counselling by txting shout on 85258 where trained people will.txt u for free and u can txt and talk which is particularly helpful at night when thoughts are racing.

8. Managed to get the house clean snd tidy after doing 1 room every 2 days due to lack of energy and motivation and not wanting to overwhlem myself.

9. Gone back to an old job which is better for mental.health away from toxic 2 faced people, realised i need to strip everything back to basics so didnt start college course as need less stress snd will do next year. Also had 2 weeks off work which has been very beneficial.

10. selfcare ie.baths, candles, other relaxing things like reading, jigsaws , clean bedding and pajamas. Also downloaded calm app for meditation and I have been resting alot.

Also given up this idea of "perfection" as I dont want to be perfect anymore its unreachable, boring and I am much happier being human and accepting myself flaws and all.

From these changes I have identified when I am in one of my depressed episodes I feel out of control esp.when the house is a mess or if too much happens at one time so these are the steps I am going to continue to take esp if I go into another dark place or hopefully help.prevent yet another dark episode.

Hope this helps someone xx

2Much2Feel

Hi all last week I was in a very deep depression after alot happening all at once in a short space of time I felt overwhlemed and I went into.a dark place yet again! but I am feeling a hell.of alot better these past few days and dare.I say it even happy! these are.the things I did to get out of my dark place which I thought may be helpful for.someome.

1. I opened up to friends and some family members about my depression as I usually hide it due to stigma, not wanting to he judged, embarrassment etc and what a weight of my mind telling people and being supported and being my true self it feels wonderful.

2. Stopped drinking alcohol and gambling as they were short term releases causing long term.problems and as we know.make depresion/anxiety worse and can stop medication working.

3. Spoke to my Doctor and increased my antidepressants from 20mg to.30mg

4. Met up with friends instead of hiding in the house or bed.

5. Joined this group as wanted to address my mental health snd help others.

6. Joined a slimming group as needed to accept needed help and cant lose weight by myself.

7. Had free counselling by txting shout on 85258 where trained people will.txt u for free and u can txt and talk which is particularly helpful at night when thoughts are racing.

8. Managed to get the house clean snd tidy after doing 1 room every 2 days due to lack of energy and motivation and not wanting to overwhlem myself.

9. Gone back to an old job which is better for mental.health away from toxic 2 faced people, realised i need to strip everything back to basics so didnt start college course as need less stress snd will do next year. Also had 2 weeks off work which has been very beneficial.

10. selfcare ie.baths, candles, other relaxing things like reading, jigsaws , clean bedding and pajamas. Also downloaded calm app for meditation and I have been resting alot.

Also given up this idea of "perfection" as I dont want to be perfect anymore its unreachable, boring and I am much happier being human and accepting myself flaws and all.

From these changes I have identified when I am in one of my depressed episodes I feel out of control esp.when the house is a mess or if too much happens at one time so these are the steps I am going to continue to take esp if I go into another dark place or hopefully help.prevent yet another dark episode.

Hope this helps someone xx
Good for you, Lucy, and so happy you took some solid steps to get your mind in a better place. It is hard to do, for sure, when we're in this state. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your steps--gonna give some a try. xx