• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression Test

R

Rider52

What is an accurate online depression test? Each one I take has different results.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Is there an accurate "depression test" anywhere? I recall seeing one doctor interviewed on TV saying that no test was available that what was an accurate predictor of suicidal outcomes.
I've taken lots of those tests but never had any faith in any of them; they just go alongside all the other snake-oil paraphernalia of "Mental Health Care" :rofl2:.

wollie

wollie

They are a load of old cobblers I have taken loads and they all come back different.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
What is an accurate online depression test? Each one I take has different results.
Hi Rider,

I use the NHS Assessment routinely.

If you use the same criteria every time and answer the questions consistently, you can guage if your mood is dropping or getting better. I don't take anti-depressants, and haven't done for years, so I have to manage myself quite strictly.

Depression is not uniformly quantifiable but these assessments are meant to be taken at least a fortnight apart - showing your own patterns of mood improvement or decline.

Ask your doctor what they recommend - in UK, the doctors are familiar with the NHS questions and so it's a useful tool to refer to if I'm explaining changes in my mood to a doctor. I don't know what they use in the US. Choose the best and stick with it.

Best wishes x

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

I use the NHS Assessment routinely.
Can you supply a reference or link to the "NHS test"? I think you'll find that no such thing exists!!!

One of the earliest "ranking tests" for depression was devised by an American doctor called Hamiliton Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression - Wikipedia way back in the early 1960's, though, in one form or another, it is still in use to day. There is a good chance that the test the NHS has given you is based on Hamilton and one reason is that he didn't copyright it and it's in the public domain and so free to use. There have been been more recent tests developed, but some have been copyrighted, so a fee must be paid to use them.

Naturally, doctors love to use rating scales because quantifying parameters is an essential feature of a science and doctors of psychiatry and psychology would love to believe, and have their patients believe, that they too are working in a scientific discipline. Well, dream on, and when/if you ever have a test which predicts suicidal outcomes, come back and tell us about that because that would warrant attention!

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Can you supply a reference or link to the "NHS test"? I think you'll find that no such thing exists!!!

One of the earliest "ranking tests" for depression was devised by an American doctor called Hamiliton Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression - Wikipedia way back in the early 1960's, though, in one form or another, it is still in use to day. There is a good chance that the test the NHS has given you is based on Hamilton and one reason is that he didn't copyright it and it's in the public domain and so free to use. There have been been more recent tests developed, but some have been copyrighted, so a fee must be paid to use them.

Naturally, doctors love to use rating scales because quantifying parameters is an essential feature of a science and doctors of psychiatry and psychology would love to believe, and have their patients believe, that they too are working in a scientific discipline. Well, dream on, and when/if you ever have a test which predicts suicidal outcomes, come back and tell us about that because that would warrant attention!
Hi Capt Hooke,

Here is the link you asked for - the NHS Assessment.

As I said in my post to @Rider52, I find this useful to check so I can be aware if my mood is gradually dropping - there are dark places I never want to go to again.

Hope you're well. Best wishes.
Lunar x

Mood self-assessment

R

Rider52

I scored 10 on the depression and 9 on the anxiety test.

jajingna

jajingna

I was about 15/24 on both depression and anxiety. ie advised to see someone, but I'll be waiting a day or two to see if I improve any..

R

Rider52

I was about 15/24 on both depression and anxiety. ie advised to see someone, but I'll be waiting a day or two to see if I improve any..
Hope you feel better soon.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Never came across a depression test. Talk to a doc thats the only way

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Well, does the NHS Assessment have any "heritage" - who formulated it, who approved it and who authorised it? How was it tested? How does it vary from well-established rating schemes like Hamilton and Beck? I think we need to know if we are to consider these matters seriously.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Does that matter? If people need help? The NHS does their job very well

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Does it matter... I think it definitely does. The NHS (via their agency NICE) has just announced that the treatments we've taken for chronic pain for the last few decades (ibroprofen and paracetamol) do not work as they once told us they did. They now recommend we take antidepressants for chronic pain, as reported by the BBC Antidepressants not ibuprofen for chronic pain. I think many will find that comes as a bit of a surprise. I wonder where the financial gains are going on there? When it comes to the NHS, always remember that the most prolific serial killer in world history was the NHS GP, Harold Shipman.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

You must be in England. Sorry for you. We are all good uo here