• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression Support Group

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Now the calendar of events which the PMHG produces has a long list of events/meetings/organisations etc.. The vast majority I have no knowledge of and while I may get round to listing some here it will always be with the warning that I have no idea what the event etc. is like.

But this is an exception. It is also quite different from the other things I have posted about so far.

This is a support group set up - years ago - by a couple of people in Erdington. It consists very simply of a group of people with depression getting together for a couple of hours and talking about their experiences and trying to support one another. I can't really recommend this one enough if you are a depressive, especially if you are feeling down, having a bad day, week, month, year.

The original Erdington Group meets on the third Wednesday of every month in Erdington Library at 11.00 (you need to go to the side-door and which is in the car park - entrance between the library and the chip shop - and ring the bell).

But there are now meetings in other areas - on the first Wednesday of every month at 11.00 in the Central Library in Room 5b on the fifth floor.
-on the last Wednesday of the month at 11.00 in Stirchley Community Centre, Pershore Street.

Personally I only go to the Erdington one but several people go to all three and I am sure they are all good.

I haven't been for one reason or another for a few months but hope to go to the Erdington one next week (21st March).

As I said before this one comes highly recommended if you fall into the affected category.

Nick.

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Nick,

I used to meet up with everyone at Erdington each month until last summer. They are an excellent group, very supportive caring people. The only reason I do not go anymore on Weds is because I have physio sessions every week on that day.

The meeting is very informal and friendly, and you get tea/coffee and biscuits:) I found that everyone had different stories/experiences and coping stratergies and wellness ideas etc. Afterwards a few of us used to go for a coffee and swop phone numbers etc.

Please say hello to Jo and Paul for me, I'm over by the airport - they will remember me!

They also have a web page somewhere try Erdington Depression Alliance :)

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi Libra and welcome to the Birmingham Forum :).

Agree with everything you say and will say hi to Jo and Paul for you when I next go.

I know about the website but its a bit out of date so I haven't used it.

Nick.

C

Caz1987

Is this group still going? I realise how long ago this was posted, but i would be interested in attending. I am a bit nervous about it though.

J

Jaybee

So did not know about this group, unsure about groups thogh cos am an RMN with the trust and worry about confidentiality, thats why i choose now to work outside of my home area