• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression or Bipolar

B

Boddah

I have struggled for the last 27 years with on and off depression, and have been medicated for this. My most recent episode has lasted about 3 years and is still ongoing, I am currently on 60mg of fluoexetine however my mood is terrible and I honestly don’t care if I live or die. I’m not actively suicidal but see no hope and find no joy in life. I don’t know if there is any medication that can be added to my current prescription to help. But I wonder if I have extreme depression due to the length of time I have lived with it. I wondered if it could be bipolar disorder, but rarely experience the highs so am unsure of a diagnosis. Has anyone any ideas or guidance. TIA

M

Murasakibee

I have struggled for the last 27 years with on and off depression, and have been medicated for this. My most recent episode has lasted about 3 years and is still ongoing, I am currently on 60mg of fluoexetine however my mood is terrible and I honestly don’t care if I live or die. I’m not actively suicidal but see no hope and find no joy in life. I don’t know if there is any medication that can be added to my current prescription to help. But I wonder if I have extreme depression due to the length of time I have lived with it. I wondered if it could be bipolar disorder, but rarely experience the highs so am unsure of a diagnosis. Has anyone any ideas or guidance. TIA
That's a really long time to struggle, I'm sorry. I'm glad you reached out and I hope you find a lot of support here and it helps a bit. You can always reach out to me.

I am one of seven kids, all of us suffer from bipolar which was inherited from my father.

My sister (32) suffers from Bipolar II, she rarely has highs but she is constantly low. She sleeps all the time, and it's hard to get her motivated. My brother (38) also goes through many lows but he has hypomanic episodes. So it's very possible you have bipolar, or major depression.

I really hope you start feeling better. Have you talked to your doctor about this? Maybe they can find a different method or they can figure out if your depression is something else like bipolar?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Some people with bipolar mostly have depression. Even mood stabilisers can help people with treatment resistant depression or bipolar depression.

JessisMe

JessisMe

What are some of the symptoms of Bipolar you have that make you think you have it?

Blooming

Blooming

Unipolar depression can become chronic. The more episodes, the more easy it becomes chronic.

Have your GP encouraged you to do other things then to take your meds (nutrition, exercises, to socialize, good sleep hygiene, have hobbies or so on)? If not, it may probably be wise to look at these question and see what you can do about them. To not feel interested in something can be part of a depression, so you have to invest in one by one of these topics slowly, one step at the time.

If you are interested, you can ask the GP of a new medication as well.

B

Boddah

What are some of the symptoms of Bipolar you have that make you think you have it?
I’m not sure, it just seems like I have suffered for so long and wondered if it was more than just depression.

Antimatter

Antimatter

I’m not sure, it just seems like I have suffered for so long and wondered if it was more than just depression.
My situation is similar to yours. I was taking 60mg fluoxetine for maybe 5 years (15 years ago) and had no cares and partied lots with booze.

Started taking sertraline couple months ago. Started at 50mg then upped it to 100mg a day. Has changed my life to manageable and loads of energy and drive.

Not a miracle cure, but not turning back. First 5-6 weeks was pretty rough though.

UK Male 46. If it helps.... I thought I was a lost cause.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

There are different ssri meds you can try. I took a while to get my meds sorted.

B

Boddah

My situation is similar to yours. I was taking 60mg fluoxetine for maybe 5 years (15 years ago) and had no cares and partied lots with booze.

Started taking sertraline couple months ago. Started at 50mg then upped it to 100mg a day. Has changed my life to manageable and loads of energy and drive.

Not a miracle cure, but not turning back. First 5-6 weeks was pretty rough though.

UK Male 46. If it helps.... I thought I was a lost cause.
Thanks 😀 sounds similar so hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. How did they do the switch from fluoexetine to the new tablet ?

Antimatter

Antimatter

Thanks 😀 sounds similar so hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. How did they do the switch from fluoexetine to the new tablet ?
I just stopped taking them and went med,-free

P

Pollypop

Ok thanks I assumed I’d have to taper or something
Tapering is the recommended way and usually done with supervision.
Just stopping can have awful withdrawal effects.

There are different SSRI’s also SNRI’s
Mood stabilisers also.

Have you discussed this with your gp and do you have a psychiatrist etc

Antimatter

Antimatter

Mood stabilisers also.

Oh sure.... I would not ever recommend a dead stop cold turkey.....

Do what is comfortable for you, you know yourself than any doctor. However they sre medically trained.

Find a comfortable balance.

B

Boddah

Mood stabilisers also.

I’ve discussed it with a mental health nurse, who’s going to speak to the GP I have never been referred or seen by a psychiatrist.