• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression linked to violent crime

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
BBC News - Depression linked to violent crime, study finds

People with a depressive illness are three times more likely to commit a violent or sex crime than those in the general population, a study suggests.

The Department of Psychiatry at Oxford University examined the criminal records of 47,158 Swedish people after they were diagnosed with depression.

Some 3.7% of men and 0.5% of women had convictions - 1.2% of men and 0.2% of women in the general population did so.

The researchers say the issue has not been given enough attention by doctors.

The study, which is published in the Lancet, looked at convictions for sexual offences and crimes such as murder, assault and robbery.
'Considerable concern'

The findings on people with depression were compared to a sample of 898,454 people with no history of depression.

When the researchers took into account previous histories of violence, self-harm, psychosis, and substance misuse, they still found a link between depression and violent crime - although the risk was found to be smaller.

More in link

Yay!!! More stigma for depressed people! WOOHOOO!! :dance: :clap:

keepsafe

keepsafe

I read the title and thought what a load of crock!

Thats me!
KS
xx

SarahD

SarahD

Hi everybody! Just off to commit a violent crime! Don't think I could manage a sex one, but watch out anyway.

Last bit, does it mean you are less likely if you have another condition like psychosis, or that if you do it is more likely to be because of that? Should read things properly. :bleary eyes:

Oh I see - it is worse for schizophrenia and bipolar, since schizoaffective is between the two I suppose that makes me more likely to offend. Funny though, I am never the mood to do that, except in medical appointments...

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What with http://www.welfareweekly.com/unemployed-are-less-considerate-and-sympathetic-says-study/ there seems to be a current policy for scientists to attack people with depression etc who might just be unemployed.
Time to change is fighting a losing battle in the anti stigma war. All of this gives people carte blanche to treat disabled people like shit. Spectres of Nazi propaganda/scientists.
I read about that in the DM (!), of course being the DM they put their own spin on it, so that no employer is going to want to take on an unemployed person, as if they didn't already.

I don't think Time to Change was ever part of the solution anyway.

Now work is essential for positive personality growth, hmm.

I would say being unemployed can affect your state rather than your traits - if you've got no money, are struggling to eat and have a constant barrage of people telling you what a workshy scrounger you are, you're not going to be feeling too agreeable imo.

Unique1

Unique1

No wonder people don't want to speak out about it. Yep like you say more stigma.

Love the humour in the posts ..it helps

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
beleive in the 60s there was a perceived connection between been black and violence there was that study by the sociologist jock young where he said the police would read the papers target black men the courts would then hand out heavy sentences that would then appear in the papers for the police to read, he called it an amplification spiral what wasn't said was black people were more at risk of violence

SarahD

SarahD

There has always got to be some target. For this government it is mentally and physically ill, and unemployed all of whom are scroungers.

And dangerous.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If work is essential for personality growth, it hasn't done much for Cameron

And then rich people would all be made to work, if this were true.

C

Chamaeleon

More propaganda shite. It's lack government funding, alcohol & drugs that lead to more violent crime...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
If work is essential for personality growth, it hasn't done much for Cameron

And then rich people would all be made to work, if this were true.
as a founding member i remember the days of new labour and the new deal were there was a large group of paid lunatics who'd attack if you challenged the work and recovery ideas they were been paid to suppport

Remember my psychiatrist at the time pushing new labours ideas, thought he may be independent but he's been appointed to the job from a group of applicants who's views have been measured by a group of health service mandarins appointed by the goverment of the day

Maybe in an ideal world i'd like to work but this is not an ideal world and every time i'm forced to fit that severely ill box or have benefits cut the less i am fit for anything

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm going to log off and do some violent crime now, cheerio!!

Oh God I'd better put that I am joking or some over zealous member will contact the police :rolleyes:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
guess i'm down in the violent crime stats due to what i consider bigoted police i told i was schitzoprenic, helps me meet the support requirement for a support worker and i gather gets me brownie points with the dwp