• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depression is destroying my life

Z

Zoleyj1

I desperately want and need to get sober but I can't make it more than a few days before my depression gets too much, so I go back to the bottle for some short term 'relief' but it always ends in disaster. The thing is, I just can't handle the constant depression. It's so severe. I've lost all interest in anything. I have no motivation and I can't get out of bed, which depresses me even more. I'm supposed to be starting a new job soon but don't know how I'm going to manage.
How do you learn to accept it?

Z

Zoe1

hi Zoelyj1

can you contact Alcoholcs Anonymous ?
you can attend a zoom meeting with them with no commitment
if you ask for ' the open meetings ' where anyone can attend

if you just sit and listen , it will make an impression on you
and you are free to decide if or when you attend another one

Z

Zoleyj1

Hi,
AA is not for me. I do SMART RECOVERY which is an alternative to AA but I'm still relapsing.

T

treasurebox

It will be good for you to see a doctor.

Listening to good, motivational and uplifting songs on youtube helps me.
Music is therapeutic. Listen every day.

Z

Zoleyj1

I've tried talking to Doctor's , they're not interested. Yes i agree, music is very therapeutic.

E

EclipticNight

The easiest way to drop an addiction is to replace it with a less disastrous one. You need to try some new stuff and see if anything takes your fancy. I play games, it's how I got myself out of bed and kept my mind calm. It's my addiction but being a gamer does not hurt anyone so it's all good. You have the entire internet at hand, explore subjects and see what will keep you going instead of the bottle.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

It's just my opinion and I come from the background of being an older guy-but I don't think more internet is what's needed to address anxiety and depression. I think way too much interaction with electronic devices is the CAUSE of much of the anxiety and depression we have today.

I sit in my therapists waiting room-or at least I did before the pandemic-and everyone else but me has their nose buried in their smart phones. Texting and reading texts. Not interacting with other human beings, instead interacting with an electronic device. I told my therapist about it and he agreed, too much artificial stimulation like that is not good for human beings.

A better way to address depression is to do natural things to stimulate the production of serotonin in the brain. Exercise, sports, walking outside. I know that's tough with the current pandemic, but you can still get outside and do some things. Being inside too much and watching TV and playing on the computer and smart phone has exacerbated the depression around the world-we need to break away from that and get outside IMO.

deliverevil

deliverevil

I haven't had to cope with bad depression in my life you need more positive entertainment. don't say what you are say what you want to be. I'm happy to get through life without any bad thoughts and loving myself. experiencing something different or what you haven't done in a while is good.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I haven't had to cope with bad depression in my life you need more positive entertainment. don't say what you are say what you want to be. I'm happy to get through life without any bad thoughts and loving myself. experiencing something different or what you haven't done in a while is good.
You're lucky you don't have bad depression. It is not fun. It zaps you of any pleasure you might otherwise experience. Saying you need more positive entertainment is possible if your depression is not so bad.

E

EclipticNight

It's just my opinion and I come from the background of being an older guy-but I don't think more internet is what's needed to address anxiety and depression. I think way too much interaction with electronic devices is the CAUSE of much of the anxiety and depression we have today.

I sit in my therapists waiting room-or at least I did before the pandemic-and everyone else but me has their nose buried in their smart phones. Texting and reading texts. Not interacting with other human beings, instead interacting with an electronic device. I told my therapist about it and he agreed, too much artificial stimulation like that is not good for human beings.

A better way to address depression is to do natural things to stimulate the production of serotonin in the brain. Exercise, sports, walking outside. I know that's tough with the current pandemic, but you can still get outside and do some things. Being inside too much and watching TV and playing on the computer and smart phone has exacerbated the depression around the world-we need to break away from that and get outside IMO.
As a guy in his mid 30s I've seen both sides and I cant disagree. This reply is for everyone, it would sound odd if I replied only to the quoted poster. When I was young I played cards with family and it was a blast. To give a comparison:

Playing cards with family around a fire.

Playing online cards with a fire background animated in the back and voice chat on a platform of your choice.

You would think it's the same. You played the same game with a similar enviroment but something is missing. Try it and you will understand. I'm a huge tech nerd but I also learned how to live without tech entirly. I can navigate by the stars, build shelters, hunt, build various devices out of nothing such as a water purifier or vandagraph generator and I can start a fire in about 10 ways. I loved learning it all too. Well except hunting, i wont kill an animal unless i have to but I'm a really good shot.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

As a guy in his mid 30s I've seen both sides and I cant disagree. This reply is for everyone, it would sound odd if I replied only to the quoted poster. When I was young I played cards with family and it was a blast. To give a comparison:

Playing cards with family around a fire.

Playing online cards with a fire background animated in the back and voice chat on a platform of your choice.

You would think it's the same. You played the same game with a similar enviroment but something is missing. Try it and you will understand. I'm a huge tech nerd but I also learned how to live without tech entirly. I can navigate by the stars, build shelters, hunt, build various devices out of nothing such as a water purifier or vandagraph generator and I can start a fire in about 10 ways. I loved learning it all too. Well except hunting, i wont kill an animal unless i have to but I'm a really good shot.
I was raised on a farm. One time when I was a kid we had a big ice storm go through that knocked out all the power lines. We managed to get our hands a generator to keep at least the refrigerator and freezer going, but lighting was mostly just candles and we had a few kerosene lamps. We did have a space heater as well, since the furnace fan was out.

It took them 6 days to get the power back to our region. For those 6 days we tried to stay warm and we played cards at night by lantern light I remember those days very fondly, we had a blast playing all the card games we could think of. Doing those sort of things with other people makes all the difference in the world, no smart phone or computer can do it.

E

EclipticNight

6 days without power? Did you have a gas stove or cook via camp fire? Campfire potatoes are unnaturally better than all others. What kind of farm?

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

6 days without power? Did you have a gas stove or cook via camp fire? Campfire potatoes are unnaturally better than all others. What kind of farm?
We had a white-gas stove, the old kind you had to pump up to get enough pressure to move the fuel through the lines. The food tasted great!

The hardest part was we had a water pump that was electrically driven, when we first lost the power we didn't have a generator. So we had to fill up buckets of water quickly so we could flush the toilets! Then we had to head out and buy a generator. Naturally, since everyone's power was down all the generators had been purchased at the hardware stores. We were lucky to borrow one from a friend.

It was my first day back from college for Spring break (about 1974) when we lost power, I spent the whole break tackling problems-generators, pumps, sump pump stopped working so the basement flooded, one thing after another after another. But, looking back on it today it was a memorable occasion.