• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression Interfering with Study? Or am I just lazy?

I

IL_Artist

OK, so I haven't taken my medication in a few days (I just forgot) but I've been having problems for a while.
I have problems with social anxiety, so it is difficult for me to function in a classroom setting, and my medication makes me kind of dim and lethargic. It's very hard to work.
There's this one class in particular that is very difficult for me though. It's called Professional Practices in Art and Design. It's a class to teach us how to go out into the business world and sell our art. I can't deal with people's personalities in that class though, especially the professor.

On the first day of class, the professor asked "Okay class, what impression would you get from a person who doesn't make eye contact?"
The classes response:
  • "He's not confident."
  • "He's not trustworthy."
  • "He's weak."

I have problems with eye-contact. I know, I have to work to fix it, but hearing people's comments about it really made me feel worthless.
It's a class where we are expected to be outgoing and social in order to make a good grade. I try hard when I do manage to go to class, but I always go home after that wanting to hurt myself.

I haven't been able to bring myself to go to that class this week. I find myself often trying to avoid the professor. I need to at least do the written assignments, but I'm having a particularly hard time doing the work for this one class. It's really stressing me out because the professor really tries to impress upon us that we will probably be failures if we don't master these skills.

Any advice?

chesya

chesya

Coping with internal struggle, conflict and it's resolution and the learning that can be derived from it are not nearly rated highly or understood enough as 'work'.

You're feeling tired because you are working hard. The fact that people on the outside can't see it or appreciate it, makes it that much harder and even more commendable.

Is there any way you can talk to the prof about the eye-contact issue. I can imagine how hard that would be, but if he's a decent prof he'd be interested.

I also know that the times that you're feeling the most crap are often the times when you doing the best. You just can't feel it.

All I can say, is given your description of your feelings you must be working hard and I can give you my personal commendation for effort and diligence!

I mean that. Take care and be proud of yourself!

darren

darren

OK, so I haven't taken my medication in a few days (I just forgot) but I've been having problems for a while.
I have problems with social anxiety, so it is difficult for me to function in a classroom setting, and my medication makes me kind of dim and lethargic. It's very hard to work.
There's this one class in particular that is very difficult for me though. It's called Professional Practices in Art and Design. It's a class to teach us how to go out into the business world and sell our art. I can't deal with people's personalities in that class though, especially the professor.

On the first day of class, the professor asked "Okay class, what impression would you get from a person who doesn't make eye contact?"
The classes response:
  • "He's not confident."
  • "He's not trustworthy."
  • "He's weak."

I have problems with eye-contact. I know, I have to work to fix it, but hearing people's comments about it really made me feel worthless.
It's a class where we are expected to be outgoing and social in order to make a good grade. I try hard when I do manage to go to class, but I always go home after that wanting to hurt myself.

I haven't been able to bring myself to go to that class this week. I find myself often trying to avoid the professor. I need to at least do the written assignments, but I'm having a particularly hard time doing the work for this one class. It's really stressing me out because the professor really tries to impress upon us that we will probably be failures if we don't master these skills.

Any advice?
In order to reduce self-focus, pay attention to what is happening around you, rather than monitoring yourself or focusing on symptoms of anxiety in your body:

Look at other people and the surroundings.
Really listen to what is being said (not to your own negative thoughts).
Don't take all the responsibility for keeping conversations going – silence is OK, other people will contribute.
get well soon .....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KyussEatsTheSun Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2