Depression in the Workplace

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
A Mental Health Foundation report on discrimination in the workplace...

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/information/news/?EntryId17=59295

I cut and paste in case there are problems....

Most employees with depression think revealing their condition to
colleagues could have a detrimental impact on their working life, a
survey showed today.

Eight out of 10 (79%) believe it could cause problems while 32% of those
who have disclosed their condition say they have been turned down for a
job as a result.

Figures suggest that one in 10 people of working age in the UK suffers
depression.

But just one in four (25%) of those have informed their personnel
departments of their condition, the survey showed.

Of those who have revealed their condition, 51% believe they are
discouraged from taking on exciting projects (51%), 48% are avoided by
colleagues and 47% have received snide comments.

Half (50%) say they have been passed over for promotion and 14% have no
access to support at work.

Sufferers most desired flexitime, cover for time off and counselling,
the survey also revealed.

But almost half (46%) of 288 people surveyed with depression said having
a job helped them feel on the road to recovery.

Emer O'Neill, chief executive of the Depression Alliance, which launched
the survey, said: "Having a job is very important to people with
depression so employers and colleagues need to have a much greater
understanding of the challenges faced by people with depression in order
to provide the support they need to contribute fully."

The survey also found that 75% of people felt low energy levels was the
most distressing aspect of their depression.

More than eight in 10 (83%) believed their work was adversely affected
by poor quality of sleep, contributing to 40% having lost a job because
of it.

Ms O'Neill said: "Sleep disturbance can have a major impact in people
with depression, and this data also highlights the importance of
healthcare professionals and patients working in partnership to manage
their depression in a way that will not negatively impact on their
sleep."

Nick.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Another issue is what to say when applying for jobs especially having been off sick for a while with depression and anxiety.I was off sick for several months and eventually gave up my job after trying unsuccessfully to return.I feel I have lost a good career because of this. In a month or two I intend to try and apply for new jobs but worry about what to put down . It is supposed to be theraputic to go back to work and for me I need the money and the stimulation but starting a new possibly demanding job is also very stressful and difficult to know if you will cope.Ideally you need the support of your employers but at the same time you are trying to prove to them that you can do the job effectively.

I would be interested to know what other people have found worked for them and from people who have successfully returned to demanding jobs.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
ive thought about this too. But have you thought about doin some voluntary work for a while to see how you cope with it. I also know that the MH Trust employs people that have had MH probs. It may be worth talking to your CPN or SW

D

Dollit

It may be worthwhile looking into the backgrounds of the companies or institutions that you're thinking of applying to. BT have a fantastic track record re mental health (I once shared a platform with the head of their HR department) and not all companies are negative about it. Doing some voluntary work as a run in can be a good idea as it shows that you didn't sit around waiting to get well - if you know what I mean. And not all voluntary work has to be ordinary, mine is far from ordinary and would actually look good on a CV.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
work

I manage to work again. Not as high demanding work- but that was a concious choice to make sure u=i enjoyed and could get the most out of life.

i could go back to my high fliers mega bucks job, yeah, mentally and physically i could do it- i think.

but, my metal issues, taught me that there is so much more in life than money and (social steriotypical) 'sucess'.

The lowley shop worker I am now, has more happiness and enjoys living more than the long hour working woman i once was. i earnt the money, and had no time to spend it, and it didnt make me happy really, it was easier to live financially. but wheres the challenge in that?!
perhaps my relitavley humble beginnings made the thrill of hunting for bargains much more of a buzz and a joy.

being low paid and short of money has many problems, but being well off wasnt a bundle of joy either.

I was suicidal and well off and now im on the bradline and pretty content with it!

Thats not the same for everyone, because we all have different wishes, joys, hopes and dreams...but dreams can change...they can move on move forward...
my turning point was learning to live and not have too specific success criteria on myself.

i deliberatley didnt tell new employers i had mental health issues- but i never lied when asked. they tend to find out in the end anyway- like when i burst into uncontrollable floods of tears for 'wierd' reasons....

if i think of it, ive only ever got a job after the person giving the job has met me first- never got a job fro an anonymous form sent away.
so, perhaps its me the person that gets the job, not my qualifications or past history...who knows.

im happy to belive its just me thst gets the job- not the lables on my CV, they help of course, so still keep trying your best, but, just be you as well.

i know this may not help anyone, but if it does bonus- and if not, i dont think it would hurt anyone- sorry if it does.
its only my own personal expirience, the same things wont be right for everyone!