• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

depression in the workplace

J

johnathon84

I have suffered with severe depression and anxiety over the last three years and have been in full time employment for the past four years. I have had time off with bad anxiety around three months ago were I was signed off sick for 2 weeks. I felt better when I whent back but I'm feeling terrible now and I'm looking at taking time out. I suffer badly in work and have been having panic attacks. I feel that some considerable tine away will help me a lot. I was just wondering if anyone knew about rights in the workplace. My employers know about my condition and I'm aware of procedures when it comes to sacking an employee. I was a little worried though whether they could fire me without warnings before hand ? I'm looking at taking a number of weeks off butbwas worried. Can an employer cause me problems for taking time off sick. I am very rarely off. Buy I feel I need to do this in order to get better. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you I advance.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
As long as both you and the employer follow the rules unless you are on some kind of final warning you shouldn't be sacked unless you are off for so long that they deem you unfit to return and they give you early retirement but that is after a long time from what I have experienced with people I have worked with with other conditions.

I am actually due back to work tonight after a three month period of absence on a return to work program. I had only been back two months from a previous absence of two months.

It has caused me a whole bunch of finance issues but I had to put myself first. Last time I went back too early so this time I have taken my time.

The fact that they are aware of your illness should actually suit you better in my opinion :)

Take the time out for yourself, you are more important than any job.

:welcome: to the forum :)

Marliee x

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Johnathon

I don't know what the rules are these days, although I seem to remember that after you have been working for a company two years it is much harder to sack you. Can you ask for a copy of health and sickness policy for,staff from the Personnnel Department? If you want to know where you stand in law you could ask the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Hope you are getting good help with the depression and anxiety.

J

johnathon84

Hey there marliee thank you for your reply. No I'm not any final warning ir anything iv never had warnings in work. Thank you for the advice. I just get a little worried about telling my employers but I need to do it for my own health and well being. Good luck with your return to work tonight and I hope all goes well. Thank you Sarah I am thinking of getting in touch with citizens advice just to be sure. Unfortunately I don't get much help with anxiety and depression. I do have friends and family who help but not really from a professional stand point.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
Hi,

I believe that your employer needs to be able to demostrate that they have made reasonable adjustments to accommode your illness and that even with this you are unable to fulfil your job, before they can sack you, you would be involved in this process. Reasonable adjustments could be changes to your working pattern or hours, changes to your duties etc. Hope that helps.

SarahD

SarahD

I am glad you have family and friends who are supportive. Since it has been going on for some time I wondered if you had considered some kind of therapy? There are many different kinds and it is worth researching them to see if you feel one of them might help. Long waiting lists on the NHS unfortunately.

E

Elle-X

Hi Johnathon. You're doing the right thing by communicating your mental health issues with your employer: if they are aware, they have to support you. You should not be discriminated against because of it and the fact you have no warnings on your record is a positive too. Perhaps seeking a little advice from a professional before taking time off would put your mind at rest and perhaps your employer would suggest you see a Doctor before they grant you any time off. Hope everything goes alright for you :)

J

johnathon84

Hey guys thank you for all of your responses they have been very helpfuk. After a day of reflection on my situation right now i have decided that i am going to take some time away from the workplace. Its hard to say how long i will be taking time out for. I have previously been offer but was only for a number of weeks. Even when i returned back i didnt feel i was totally ready. Therefore im not estimating my time away and just taking each day as and when it comes. I will wait until i feel better in myself as i beleieve with illness wether it be physical or mental and my General Practioner is on agreement it is best i take time to rediscover myself and work on improving my overall health. Thank you all for your support. If anyone has any further replies to this message or any previously it would be a great help.Thank you very much to everyone for the advice.