• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depression in Teenage Boys

B

BubbaK

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about depression in teenage boys. I am a father of one, but my question really relates to my own behavior, when I was in high school in the seventies. I am in a 12-step program (AA), and have been recalling and trying to deal with/figure out, a lot of my behavior in my teens, and whether it was alcohol, family of origin (home environment), or my depression to cause me to behave the way I did. I read a fact sheet about how depression in teens can often manifest itself, and I checked-off just about every box. BTW, none of my 4 siblings have developed any substance abuse issues or have any mental health problems, that I am aware of.

1. Wreckless behavior-stealing $ from my mother and brothers, shoplifting, threatening to damage a teacher's car, stealing $ from a sports club
2. Poor performance in school
3. Truancy, suspension from school
4. Fighting with siblings, especially my younger brother and sister
5. Anger, moodiness, irritability
6. Social isolation
8. Problems with parents
9. Losing jobs

I know there was not a lot of knowledge, back in the day, (seventies), of depression, and depression in teens, so I am not blaming my parents or teachers. I guess I am trying to parse out how much alcohol played a role in my behavior (I drank, and both parents were alcoholics), or if it was undiagnosed depression.

Doing the steps in AA is helpful, but it does bring up a lot of painful memories, and I have been beating myself up over my behavior that took place 40+ years ago. I have made amends to many of the people, or tried to, but I still feel a lot of guilt.

So, I would like to hear from anyone who is a parent of a teen who is/has suffered from a mood disorder, or if you yourself had one in your youth, and did not realize it...

BubbaK

T

timing

Of the 9 items you listed my son exhibited 8 in his teen years. At age 16 he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He did not get into any alcohol but there is no doubt he was depressed in those years, as well as manic at times.

There is no doubt that alcohol is well known as self medication for depression and other illnesses. You could think of your using alcohol in those years as your way to cope. Don't beat yourself up, as it seems you are heading forward.

My son is 32 now and he often talks about how he was a lot to handle. I remind him of the positives. Everyone has something in their past to regret. We learn and move on.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
2 Is it depression or normal teenage behaviour (hormones) Depression Forum 2
M A blood test for depression Depression Forum 1
KittyCat92 Depression tiredness is more than just needing sleep Depression Forum 21
D I feel dead from depression Depression Forum 9
P Physical side of depression Depression Forum 10
M Running and crochet for depression Depression Forum 1
D Depression, loneliness, anxiety and leaving school Depression Forum 4
S I feel like my depression is starting to affect me in secondary ways Depression Forum 4
S The Cure for Depression Depression Forum 14
S I was diagnosed with depression Depression Forum 4
S Depression could be a change in consciousness Depression Forum 3
GraceAmbassador Kiss Depression Goodbye - PART ONE Depression Forum 1
L depression - adhd - phd - imposter Depression Forum 6
C How to reach out to others about depression after a roommate tried to commit suicide? Depression Forum 3
I Recovered from depression Depression Forum 10
A My mum's depression is severely affecting my mental health Depression Forum 1
C Sertraline side effects & postnatal depression Depression Forum 2
C Parental love and depression: has anyone else suffered from too much love? Depression Forum 6
P Depression and Boss Depression Forum 5
L depression and addiction Depression Forum 4
N Depression & Work Depression Forum 9
KittyCat92 Is there a link between depression and repetition? Depression Forum 4
C Dealing with depression as a student athlete Depression Forum 1
MeAndMyDepression How is your memory and concentration affected by depression? Depression Forum 8
jajingna When we say "I have depression" Depression Forum 3
O Is this a symptom of Depression? Depression Forum 4
Bod IF YOU SUFFER DEPRESSION PLEASE READ IT'S FOR EVERYONE Depression Forum 175
A Depression and anxiety Depression Forum 2
S Does anyone else keep trying to think their way out of depression? Depression Forum 16
B14KWTFGO_x I hate depression. Depression Forum 6
H Wearing a mask to hide depression: Depression Forum 4
D Birthday depression Depression Forum 37
stevie_sloth Anyone taken the Beck Depression or Anxiety Inventories? Depression Forum 4
KittyCat92 What does depression do to us? Depression Forum 36
J Any positives from having depression? Depression Forum 28
R Depression since 12 years old Depression Forum 8
B Anxiety and Depression at 21 years old Depression Forum 8
KittyCat92 Does depression affect our judgment? Depression Forum 17
M Do you feel guilt (of your depression) or not ? Depression Forum 21
S Depression pain Depression Forum 10
Capt Hooke New Treatment for Depression Depression Forum 31
K Can someone who was born with depression, drink alcohol at all? Depression Forum 7
KittyCat92 My honest view on high functioning depression Depression Forum 9
K Reading and depression: An ultimatum Depression Forum 2
S Existential depression. Depression Forum 8
K Drugs and Depression Depression Forum 2
K Can't read because of depression Depression Forum 23
O anyone heard of psycotic depression Depression Forum 3
K Depression Crisis and Energy drinks Depression Forum 5
M High functioning depression and anxiety Depression Forum 18