• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression groups

V

Venne

Hi guys,

I tried searching for the topic, but couldn't find any relevant posts. I wanted to know if anyone is attending any depression groups or have attended them in the past? Has it helped? Has it been a positive experience? What happens there? Do people just talk about their feelings, give advice, or something else? A bit new to this, so wanted to see if there was someone with this kind of experience..

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi venne,
I haven't had experience with these types of groups,
Just wanted to say :hi:

A

alexi

I have some experience with Depression Alliance. There may not be a group near you. It all depends upon the group. Usually everyone gets a chance to talk. The last one I went to there was a reflexologist and she
gave and did some practical demonstrations. I have not been to many meetings as it is too far to travel. I live in London am not sure where you live. Usually I found the meeting helpful.

B

balancekeeper

Hi, Ive alos being wondering if these groups can help at all. From my experience other groups that address topic of mental health dont seem to have much of an effect.

C

Christobel

I have been to groups in hospital but they were not just for depression. There were also people with anxiety, OCD etc. we each talked about our problems, and a nurse wrote things on a flip chart. As someone who has depression, I wouldn't find it useful to be in a group with other depressed people.

V

Venne

autumnalsprinkles, thank you for the warm welcome! ;)

I guess it all depends on the person. Not everyone is willing to share their experiences or listen to others. But I think it's helpful to talk to someone who understands once in a while? Or being in a supportive environment. I'm very skeptical about it as well, but maybe it helped someone.