• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depression from unemployment

J

Jess Day

Hello, so i would say i've been mildly depressed since end-2019 mainly from unemployment. its been 2 years since i graduated from university with a master's degree, but still could not get a graduate job in a country that is not my home country. i had complications due to the pandemic, i was initially barred from leaving my home country eventhough i had a valid visa to stay inside the UK with my husband. when i finally got to reunite with my husband and settled my visa problems, it feels like i still couldn't shake off the last challenge of getting a job. i'm now unemployed for 16 months, and its hard having to receive rejections one after another. i have been applying to jobs every day. last month i got rejected from a job offer after my second interview, and it was devastating. the employer basically gave an excuse of "tight competition". i didnt really want to go through the entire job application process again. some days feel slow and i feel empty, like today. i finally got myself into a volunteering role to help with my unemployment, yet even that is going slow. i've not been given any work to do and its been 2 weeks since i started. i've not been invited to any interviews for a month. i now have breakdowns every few weeks from my predicament. i can't help but feel i'm behind in my life. 26 years old and no career. my husband has been supportive for me, but we know theres not much he can do. i don't know what to feel or what to do anymore. hope someone can help me with advice. Thank you.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I'm so sorry for your unemployment situation and your resulting depression from it. I can totally empathize with you. I was let go from my last "real" job, and looking for another job beat me down terribly. It was the worst chapter of my life. I didn't get invited to interviews. I sat at my computer in my kitchen for most of the day, every day. Having a family to support and other expenses drained me as well as my bank account. I'd say to lean on your husband some more for his support. I would also open up to him frequently to express how you're feeling. Don't keep your emotions bottled up. Maybe you can see a therapist for talk therapy? I wish you and your husband the best of luck, now and in the future.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Hello, so i would say i've been mildly depressed since end-2019 mainly from unemployment. its been 2 years since i graduated from university with a master's degree, but still could not get a graduate job in a country that is not my home country. i had complications due to the pandemic, i was initially barred from leaving my home country eventhough i had a valid visa to stay inside the UK with my husband. when i finally got to reunite with my husband and settled my visa problems, it feels like i still couldn't shake off the last challenge of getting a job. i'm now unemployed for 16 months, and its hard having to receive rejections one after another. i have been applying to jobs every day. last month i got rejected from a job offer after my second interview, and it was devastating. the employer basically gave an excuse of "tight competition". i didnt really want to go through the entire job application process again. some days feel slow and i feel empty, like today. i finally got myself into a volunteering role to help with my unemployment, yet even that is going slow. i've not been given any work to do and its been 2 weeks since i started. i've not been invited to any interviews for a month. i now have breakdowns every few weeks from my predicament. i can't help but feel i'm behind in my life. 26 years old and no career. my husband has been supportive for me, but we know theres not much he can do. i don't know what to feel or what to do anymore. hope someone can help me with advice. Thank you.
It's a good idea to help by volunteering, staying busy will make you feel better about yourself and help you project a positive image in interviews.

I understand your concern but 26 is really very young-you have your whole life ahead of you. If it takes you 6 months or a year to find a good job it's really not going to set you back. I'm 66 and looking on retiring next year at 67. I gave up a good job at 34 and went back to school to get my Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering-because my employer wasn't treating me right. I had to restart my career at 34, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.

Don't get discouraged, stay busy with volunteering and something will turn up. Stay positive and I'm sure things will work out.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

It's a good idea to help by volunteering, staying busy will make you feel better about yourself and help you project a positive image in interviews.

I understand your concern but 26 is really very young-you have your whole life ahead of you. If it takes you 6 months or a year to find a good job it's really not going to set you back. I'm 66 and looking on retiring next year at 67. I gave up a good job at 34 and went back to school to get my Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering-because my employer wasn't treating me right. I had to restart my career at 34, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.

Don't get discouraged, stay busy with volunteering and something will turn up. Stay positive and I'm sure things will work out.
Good advice, @Alexander Ypsilantis. I'm staying busy with volunteering, and it really helps with my self-esteem.

J

Jess Day

I'm so sorry for your unemployment situation and your resulting depression from it. I can totally empathize with you. I was let go from my last "real" job, and looking for another job beat me down terribly. It was the worst chapter of my life. I didn't get invited to interviews. I sat at my computer in my kitchen for most of the day, every day. Having a family to support and other expenses drained me as well as my bank account. I'd say to lean on your husband some more for his support. I would also open up to him frequently to express how you're feeling. Don't keep your emotions bottled up. Maybe you can see a therapist for talk therapy? I wish you and your husband the best of luck, now and in the future.
Thank you so much, i really appreciate your reply. i feel abit better when i hear i'm not the only one struggling with finding a job. i've decided to get myself into talk therapy as you suggested. found an online therapy that i can do from the comfort of my home (amid the heatwave!). hopefully it all goes well :)

J

Jess Day

Thank you so much. i appreciate your reply. yes, i do find it hard to count my blessings ie stay in the present and realise my unemployment is not forever. i've gone around to registering myself into online talk therapy and thinking about getting myself into some online Excel course. hopefully i stay motivated to continue them :)

M

Mistral

There can be down sides to therapy as well as up sides. It is not for everybody.

Yes, stay busy as has been said. Think about applying for part-time jobs for non-graduates to get you into the working environment. The online course in excel is a good idea to keep you busy. Also develop any hobbies. Even if it is just playing five-a-side football once a week or going swimming, hill-walking etc.

J

Jess Day

There can be down sides to therapy as well as up sides. It is not for everybody.

Yes, stay busy as has been said. Think about applying for part-time jobs for non-graduates to get you into the working environment. The online course in excel is a good idea to keep you busy. Also develop any hobbies. Even if it is just playing five-a-side football once a week or going swimming, hill-walking etc.
Thank you for your reply. It's my first time in therapy, so we'll see how i go along 😁. It's free under the national health service, and I get to do it at my own time, so nothing to lose. And you're right, i should get a new hobby too, something to get me off the tv. I wish my life would turn around someday, but can't get myself to do the work yet 😔.

D

dansell123

Hey Jess Da,

I'm 31 without a job, you are not alone! I think the best thing you can do is stay active and continue with volunteer work (as you mentioned). Use your free energy to help people and being unemployed won't feel as a bad!

Hello from Arizona

Hello from Arizona

Hi .. Is it possible to start a business in your profession? Do you know anyone who could pair up with you? Maybe you can start offering your expertise on linked-in .. write articles, engage in OTHER people's articles in your area of study? Watching TV/vids too much can be depressing imo...especially when the sun starts dropping and you realize another unproductive day!

anodyne

anodyne

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think many people can relate to the experience you're going through; I myself graduated with a Bachelor's at the end of 2019. Since then, I've had several jobs well below my abilities, months of unemployment, been fired, laid off, volunteered, whatever. I don't feel any closer now to getting a decent job then I did when I first graduated.
In any case, if you have the support of your husband, my advice would be to make the most of the time you have. Working tends to take up all of your time once you start, so enjoy being free for the moment. When I was unemployed, I would normally devote a few hours each day to sending out applications and spend the rest of the day doing something I enjoyed. Otherwise, I would have been more depressed. You're 26, still incredibly young. You are married and have a graduate degree AND live in a foreign country. I'd say you have a lot going for you atm.

C

cathanifrind174

I was in a similar situation several years ago. I was unemployed in a foriegn country with visa problems and it contributed to my depression. My depression didn't disappear after I started working but unemployment is extremely depressing and you feel less worthy if you don't have a job. It's a vicious cycle.

I really hope you keep going because sometimes it can seem dark. Be proud of what you've achieved and try to stay positive. I had to wait for a long time before I found a job and it wasn't in the sector I was looking for.

One advice I can give is to stop thinking about what others might say. It was a big thing for me. I was too afraid to tell others that I was unemployed as if it was some deep character flaw. Now looking back, I feel that it didn't help gain self-esteem. I should've just said, I'm trying as hard as I can but I haven't found the job I'm looking for. I also have depression which makes it harder. If others can help you, great, but you don't have to justify your unemployment or listen to every advice you get. It is unfortunate that society places such a premium on work and everything depends on working. I had saved up and had wonderful supportive parents so finance wasn't an issue but being unemployed for more than 6 months can really take a toll on your mental health.

The positive of all of this is that I didn't even know I had depression till I was unemployed in a foriegn country. It helped me seek timely medical help. I also didn't know that it wasn't normal to be thinking about suicide all the time. The people I met helped me a lot, and it was the begining of a long journey that eventually landed me a job.

YOUR SELF-WORTH DOESN'T DEPEND ON YOUR EMPLOYMENT STATUS