• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

depression disable senses?

W

whatdidyousay?

Founding Member
i have been depressed for about a year now... only recently i have noticed my vision and hearing have changed, it's like i am not as conscious as i used to be, i also start having some Alzheimer's symptoms by forgetting stuff like what i just ate, what TV show i just watched, what time i did what. i also have problems hearing what people say to me, people around me go nuts having to repeat themselves 3-4 times:mad:. i can't solve problems as well as i did before either, i feel like i have become more enclosed to myself and block out the world around me.:drool:

sound normal\familiar?:confused:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Very familiar with me :(

D

Dollit

That lack of concentration and inability to take things in isn't unusual in my personal experience. Your brain is working really hard to cope and so it focuses on the things that are important. It doesn't need to remember what you ate, just that you ate. Depression affects you in a huge number of ways, not just your mood. I tend to talk my thoughts out loud if I'm depressed or really stressed which can be a bit embarrassing but people who know me just let me get on with it.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
for how long? have you recovered??
Since 2004.
Nope not recovered , have accepted i will never recover completly , but over time thing's will get easier.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
So So true. I assumed my brain cells were dying!

W

whatdidyousay?

Founding Member
Since 2004.
Nope not recovered , have accepted i will never recover completly , but over time thing's will get easier.

so i will basically be like this forever? depression screws you up for the rest of your life??:eek:

D

Dollit

Depression affects people in different ways. You may "recover" and never have another bout of depression, it may be something that occurs intermittently over your life. No one can predict the path it will take. Fedup was merely talking of her experience.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
so i will basically be like this forever? depression screws you up for the rest of your life??:eek:

Every one is differant , you asked if I ............... so i answered you honestly , as Dollit has mentioned.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

I have those symptoms when im depressed too. But when im stable or manic, completely different story. But it's all personal as Dollit said

D

Dollit

I think while it's good to listen to each other's stories and get ideas for helping ourselves and helping each other through tough times it's important not to measure the way you are against the way someone else is. I'm very well at the moment but getting very tired because it's my busy time and I'm working under a more senior officer now so it's at a higher level, more responsibility, harder work. I'm neglecting myself by not eating properly. That's me at my very best. At my very worst I don't leave the house very much and when I do I have to have to someone with me because I get frustrated and angry and argue and end up in hysterical tears. Or I'm so high I really could actually kill myself (high isn't good in this person). But that's me. I am inspired by people like Fedup who look after other people and have active lives in circumstances that would kill me but we can't measure up to each other. Does that make sense?

R

RubyAnn

hi

yes that sounds familiar with me, i've been like that for a while now, it's horrible and make me more frustrated.

RubyAnn

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
In my personal experience my depression plays havoc with my short term memory. It's embarasing, i can be thinking of something, then five minutes later completely forget what i was thinking about in the first place. I now have to right down important things that i need to do on a daily basis in a note book otherwise i completely forget, some times i think there are holes in my brain letting things leak out like a sive.

To make matters worse, my brain is havibg to work so hard my beautiful hair is slowly turning gray, i'm only 32 :scared:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Colin - yes, my hair has certainly gained in number of grays!

I can also sympathise with everyone who has memory problems - my memory is just plain pants at the moment - short and long term. I used to put this down to the ECT but as the people said in the ECT clinic it's probably due to the depression.

I also get that boxed in feeling where all of reality is somehow out of step. This could be a variation on the depersonalisation that has been discussed elsewhere in the Depression folder.

Aahbut

Aahbut

I recognise those feelings all too well. I was diagnosed with depression in Jan 2006, and it has never really lifted in that time for more than a few days at a time, my best was ten days. I asked my psychiatrist if I would ever feel 'normal' again, and he said probably not. I am slowly coming to terms with the idea that I am unlikely to have really happy days very often. And that my memory is so poor now that I don't seem to worry about it like I did. But I must stress that this is about ME, there are plenty of others who do way better than I do.