• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depression could be a change in consciousness

M

Mistral

Surely this change of consiciousnees is not one more symptom of depression, but a symptom of something else such as a mild pyschosis.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Hmm. That's interesting. I myself don't think of my depression as another world or place. I think of it as a state of consciousness that is kept at a consistent level of...itself (the depressive state)...by my chronic and persistent anxiety. The depressive state of consciousness is still within me though. I can remember feeling differently, but just can't get there.

The dissolution of ego is also interesting. I felt some familiarity when I read this, though in my case it is not the TOTAL dissolution. It's just partial. A loss of...me. My interest in things, my desire for things, my active presence in life...is diminished...I am shrunken. There is less of me.

S

SadRainbow

Former member
Hmm. That's interesting. I myself don't think of my depression as another world or place. I think of it as a state of consciousness that is kept at a consistent level of...itself (the depressive state)...by my chronic and persistent anxiety. The depressive state of consciousness is still within me though. I can remember feeling differently, but just can't get there.

The dissolution of ego is also interesting. I felt some familiarity when I read this, though in my case it is not the TOTAL dissolution. It's just partial. A loss of...me. My interest in things, my desire for things, my active presence in life...is diminished...I am shrunken. There is less of me.
I very much relate to "there is less of me". I had quite a resilient sense of self all my life that helped me through some really tough times, but not with this current depression.