• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression and Work

J

jojo1974

I have had depression for many years but was only diagonised last year. At the beginning of this year I had a massive episode and ended up taking time off work for 2 and a half months and only returned because of pressure placed on me by my family and friends (constant jibs about it only getting harder to return the longer i was off) Initially my boss was understanding but I am beginning to feel that they think I am a 'fake' and they are trying to get me to leave (my apprasial recently was a barrage are criticism which left me crying like a fool) My husband doesn't help either as he said if he had been my boss he would have sacked me long ago. I am only at work now because I can't deal with peoples comments (family) and I just want to curl up in a ball and never come out. The only option I can see at the moment is to walk away from everything (work and home) and never return. I know that would make it easier for everyone. Any advise? Sorry to waffle

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum JoJo. I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I know how you feel about not being able to talk about your feelings. This forum is good for that or writing a blog in the blog section.
It sounds like you have done well to get back to work because thats never easy is it.
Depression is a pig of an illness and can take a long time to recover you have to tryand be kind to yourself in the process.
KP

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I am very sorry to hear of your situation jojo. It is very difficult to give advice because we are all different. But the bottom line is that you have to put your health first. Of course that just leads to the question as to how you do that?! For me it meant giving up work but I was in the incredibly fortunate position of having a very supportive wife. For other people work is really important as validation and occupation (and money of course!). Do you have good medical support? a psychiatrist/cpn? being able to talk all these things through with someone you trust is the best course of action and only real advice I can give, even if it seems a bit of an evasion.

Nick.

N

Nutter_09

Hiya,

I am in the exact same situation. I was working and was signed off, first for a week, then another, and another and so on. My boss seemed supportive but I felt like they were just doing what they had to do. After my doc signed me off for a month i decided that if I didn't leave, they would fire me anyway.
I handed in my notice and that was that! I am lucky in a sense to have a "relatively" supportive family. I am 23 and live at home, my fam help me out if I look after the house, shopping etc but the also give the "jibes" etc as you do.
I do think that you HAVE to think of yourself and just forget everyone else. Even my boyf's family are now starting to notice and think I am Lazy and using him for his money! You can never win really, but just do what you have to, to make sure you get better. Are you on meds and seeing a counsellor?
I just started with one and she has made it a great deal better as I was starting to believe what other were saying about me being lazy and making it all up - she told me that I do have depression and how to deal with them.

I do hope you get some support you need - also, try getting your family to read up about symptoms - it may help them understand a bit more.

Take care