• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depression and work?

Winters

Winters

Hi all,

I hope you’re all doing ok or at least hanging on in there 😊

I’m currently off work with depression and anxiety, have been since April. I’ve been off with the same problems in the past. And if I’m to continue in work I honestly expect to be off again in the future. I’m on medication but I just don’t seem to be improving. The thought of trying to manage employment whilst living with this for life is so overwhelming.

I accept this is a lifelong condition with better patches than others. My heart knows that I need to leave employment but just the thought of trying to manage on benefits (if I’m even entitled) just shakes me to my very core.

Even if I am entitled I’ll probably have to apply for jobseekers which means regular reports to the job centre to show I’m trying to find employment,which negates the giving up of employment in the first place!

Trying to apply for sick or ppi or whatever it’s called seems such a difficult thing to do, as it seems almost impossible to prove you are genuinely unable to work due to mental health.

I guess I just feel ‘stuck’ life seems too difficult either way.

Has anyone any experience with this?

Apologies for the essay, many thanks 😊

C

charlieblack5

I’m sorry you’re experiencing this. I can’t directly relate but have thought about being off on sick as work at the moment is just completely overwhelming. I’m quite lucky in the fact that I work from home (I’d have had a breakdown going into the office) but I’d much rather have a few months just to decompress. I assume it’s harder to get back into work when off?

There will be others who can advise more on options. You’re not alone!

M

Mistral

Firstly, depression is not always life-long. It might seem like it will never end, but you can recover from it or get it reduced to a level where you can carry on a fairly normal life, have a career and do most things that others do. I have suffered from very severe depression for a large part of my life, including a spell off work and taking medication. I have not taken any medication for over ten years now.

As for benefits, nobody can force you to go on benefits, but think of them as temporary. I was on tax credits and sick pay for a while and they definitely can help to ease financial stresses.

G

Gotmeagain

I am currently off work with Depression, this is the second time in 2 years and prior to that I didn’t have 1 sick day for five years. Both times I’ve been off sick are occasions where I’ve stopped taking medication and my job became too stressful to cope with.
I feel like I need to change my job or at least reduce my hours maybe, but financially I can’t afford it. Medication will help me get through it, but I don’t want to spend my life on medication just to be able to cope at work.
Can any adjustments be made in your workplace to make things easier? Maybe reducing your hours and claiming working tax credits or like you said, claiming PIP. It can be difficult to score points and be successful in obtaining PIP for Depression but the citizens advice bureau can support you with you application.
Take your time returning to work, make sure your feeling better before going back and being faced with all the challenges work life can throw at you.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Hi all,

I hope you’re all doing ok or at least hanging on in there 😊
The thought of trying to manage employment whilst living with this for life is so overwhelming
I accept this is a lifelong condition with better patches than others. My heart knows that I need to leave employment but just the thought of trying to manage on benefits (if I’m even entitled) just shakes me to my very core.

Hi Winters, I feel this. I am still working in a job I don't want to quit but I am not feeling well. Sticking things out for now and hoping to feel better by the fall, but knowing in my heart is a problem. All the best to you. 💗

Apologies for the essay, many thanks 😊

Winters

Winters

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I’m only working part time & already get tax credits, which will run out in Sept & the thought of full time work seems impossible when I can’t even function with part time.

My job is very demanding and whilst they try to put things in place at first, when you’ve been back a week or so they conveniently forget.

Trying to get pip is next to impossible as I can’t prove my mental health problems.

I’m just sick of being sad. I have zero motivation. Life sure does seem too hard sometimes.

It’s a small comfort knowing I’m not alone in going through this, even though I wouldn’t wish this on anyone x

C

charlieblack5

I’ve had a terrible day today, and trying to concentrate on work has been impossible. I think I’m going to look into taking some time off sick if possible. You’re certainly not alone.

G

Gotmeagain

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I’m only working part time & already get tax credits, which will run out in Sept & the thought of full time work seems impossible when I can’t even function with part time.

My job is very demanding and whilst they try to put things in place at first, when you’ve been back a week or so they conveniently forget.

Trying to get pip is next to impossible as I can’t prove my mental health problems.

I’m just sick of being sad. I have zero motivation. Life sure does seem too hard sometimes.

It’s a small comfort knowing I’m not alone in going through this, even though I wouldn’t wish this on anyone x
I feel your pain. My employers spout all this stuff about looking after their staffs well-being but they don’t truly look after you. When you go back to work like you said they conveniently forget why you were off and load the pressure back on.
Could you look for a new part time job maybe? I know this can be difficult when you feel like you do but may be better in the long run.
For PIP you could ask your GP to write you a letter. Why is life so hard. Most of us stuck and struggling in jobs we hate and that make us feel worse.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Rather than thinking of stopping working completely, try looking for something different that will involve less stress instead. When you come out of the workplace it gets more and more difficult should you want to get back into it the longer it goes on (and you will because it's boring as hell having nothing to do). If you find yourself then wanting to work but nobody will take you on you get a whole new problem to deal with and mounting frustration. But absolutely 100% you should be looking to get away from that job you have now if it makes you feel like that.

In addition, you should maybe be exploring other options with regards to medication, therapy, or even trying to get reassessed to be sure it is just depression and not anything else.