• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depression and University

J

JoPTay

So, in September I started a new university course.

Over the months, my mental health took a huge hit. I am in the process of deferring but it has been advised that I finish my assessments for the current semester. I done everything I could to submit several of them, but I have a huge one due in a few days and I haven't even started it because I honestly cannot bring myself to combat it. I have no energy, I wake up feeling exhausted and I have no motivation or care to even look after myself let alone do a huge assignment. It makes me feel worse knowing I'm letting the hours pass without even trying to do this assignment, but even when I sit there staring at it - I do nothing. I try to talk to the people I have close to me, but their advice is to just keep trying and 'get it done'.

I feel pathetic, and kind of just want someone to turn around and say it's ok if I don't get a stupid assignment done.
I am more than a grade.

The fact that the people around me are only seeing all the things that I am no longer doing or able to do rather than acknowledging that I am so mentally unwell right now makes me feel so horribly alone. I feel as though everyone is so used to me getting things done that they're not really sure how to react now that I've fallen so low and are expecting me to just sort it out myself and the fact that I'm failing to do that leaves me feeling even worse.

The fact that something so stupid makes me feels so upset when there's so much 'worse' that could be happening is something that I really battle with too. But, I feel as though not being able to compartmentalise and sort my life out is so unlike me that it just cements the feeling of disconnect between myself battling depression and who I was/am without it, if that makes sense?

Depression really sucks to say the least - and I just needed a place to get it out my system when no one around me really understands. Honestly, thank you to anyone who reads this and has something positive to say, I really appreciate it.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

serotonin does increase mental productivity. unless it goes too high then it can scatter the mind. but a bit high and it increases speed of mind and intelligence etc...

nowadays college kids are taking various drugs to enhance their mind. raise serotonin maybe or increase focus etc...

J

JoPTay

serotonin does increase mental productivity. unless it goes too high then it can scatter the mind. but a bit high and it increases speed of mind and intelligence etc...

nowadays college kids are taking various drugs to enhance their mind. raise serotonin maybe or increase focus etc...
I'm not sure what you're suggesting? Take mind-enhancing drugs and complete my assignments? Or... what? I am already on antidepressents to increase serotonin levels but they haven't seemed to change much.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

I'm not sure what you're suggesting? Take mind-enhancing drugs and complete my assignments? Or... what? I am already on antidepressents to increase serotonin levels but they haven't seemed to change much.
dont start snorting lines of Ritalin yet lol

does the school have an option to give extension due to illness. u can get that going. but then u might need doctor note

or u might have to devote more time to the assignments in order to compensate for the slower mind from the low serotonin. u work on them slowly for a long time, instead of high serotonin which makes you work on them quickly for a short time. its a different way of operating in the world. more like slow and steady:

J

JoPTay

dont start snorting lines of Ritalin yet lol

does the school have an option to give extension due to illness. u can get that going. but then u might need doctor note

or u might have to devote more time to the assignments in order to compensate for the slower mind from the low serotonin. u work on them slowly for a long time, instead of high serotonin which makes you work on them quickly for a short time.
Lol.

Unfortunately, the extension policy is only 7 days - which I applied for and was granted but it isn't enough time for the size of the assignment. I appreciate that because my lack of focus and motivation it will take me a longer time to complete which is why I'm so anxious about this assignment just not being submitted at all.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Hi JoPTay, I know the feeling. I’m also a uni student and struggling with depression.

Maybe you can try splitting up the assignment and just decide you do this part and the next day do the other part. I often do a small checklist on what I will have in my assignments and slowly check it off while writing.

Somedays I can only sit for 30 mins other days I have a little more energy to do the assingment. Most important is to start a little, as long you start it will become a little easier and stick to the time you have decided.

What works for me is just deciding I will do this today at this time but I might skip a few things on other spectrum within self care. Even when I decide to do something it can become procrastinated because of the no energy and motivations. It can feel like you are fighting a never ending battle. But at least try to get started and see if you can get it going. You can also see if the university can be of any help.

How long have you been on anti-depressive?

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

Unfortunately, the extension policy is only 7 days - which I applied for and was granted but it isn't enough time for the size of the assignment. I appreciate that because my lack of focus and motivation it will take me a longer time to complete which is why I'm so anxious about this assignment just not being submitted at all.
high serotonin is like rabbit, fast and scattered

low is like tortus, slow and steady

J

JoPTay

Hi JoPTay, I know the feeling. I’m also a uni student and struggling with depression.

Maybe you can try splitting up the assignment and just decide you do this part and the next day do the other part. I often do a small checklist on what I will have in my assignments and slowly check it off while writing.

Somedays I can only sit for 30 mins other days I have a little more energy to do the assingment. Most important is to start a little, as long you start it will become a little easier and stick to the time you have decided.

What works for me is just deciding I will do this today at this time but I might skip a few things on other spectrum within self care. Even when I decide to do something it can become procrastinated because of the no energy and motivations. It can feel like you are fighting a never ending battle. But at least try to get started and see if you can get it going. You can also see if the university can be of any help.

How long have you been on anti-depressive?
Hey, it is definitely a hard battle being depressed at university.

My usual technique is to try and do the things you've suggested but with this assignment - it just doesn't seem to be kicking me into gear or getting anything done and I'm getting more and more frustrated at myself. But, I appreciate you suggesting things and finding it relatable.

I am trying to get at least ~something~ done so I can hand it in - but, it's just not seeming likely.

I am in talks with my university, and several services they provide but they're aren't being much help and especially during the holiday season they've all left now.

I've only been on medication for a month now so I assume I still need to find what works for me, dosage, type etc.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Hey, it is definitely a hard battle being depressed at university.

My usual technique is to try and do the things you've suggested but with this assignment - it just doesn't seem to be kicking me into gear or getting anything done and I'm getting more and more frustrated at myself. But, I appreciate you suggesting things and finding it relatable.

I am trying to get at least ~something~ done so I can hand it in - but, it's just not seeming likely.

I am in talks with my university, and several services they provide but they're aren't being much help and especially during the holiday season they've all left now.

I've only been on medication for a month now so I assume I still need to find what works for me, dosage, type etc.
Anti-depressive can take up to 6 to 8 weeks until they give effect and then it’s also the dosage part. So give it a bit of time. Also don’t beat yourself up too much, you are trying your best. Depression becomes extra luggages to carry which are just pulling your legs.

I hope others can give other tips that can help you and that the anti-depressive will have a bit of an effect.

G

goodgollymiss

You should start studying for a hard course before a course starts. Like in the summer with online notes. Then you'll have more time for the easy courses. I find that even if you read the textbook, it doesn't help if it is new material