• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depression and the Purpose of Pain

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I’ve recently been thinking a lot about my mood fluctuations in particular the low ones and have gained a few insights that I thought I would share. It’s to do with our relationship with Pain. Many people hate pain as it is uncomfortable and we usually avoid it. Sometimes that is the wise choice but recently I’ve observed and witnessed that upon deep reflection sometimes pain was actually helping me to grow. Deep down it was positive not negative. Pain comes in many forms but I’ll refer to depression in this post as its a typical form of pain everyone can relate to.

I usually run away from my low moods. I’ll numb the pain with coffee or something. But recently I realised my low moods were actually a message. These messages were communicating something. Some change was needed or some growth needed to occur and my feelings of depression were stuck because I wasn’t allowing this growth. I would look at the pain wrong or respond to it in the wrong way. I wouldn’t go deep into it and listen to what it was trying to tell me. I realised that my depression kept returning because I was unwilling to go into discomfort. Not willing to face my problems and deal with them. Not willing to change my dietary habits and instead live with the feelings of guilt. Not willing to give up bad habits. Procrastination. Negative thinking or looking at something the wrong way. Self doubt. Whatever painful emotion I was dealing with it would all feed my depression and continue to do that because I wasn’t willing to go into the discomfort of embracing these messages and responding to them the way they wanted me to.

If you look at body builders the only way they grow and beautify is by embracing pain. The stress, self-discipline and discomfort of waking up and going to that gym and then carrying those heavy weights. It’s undesirable who honestly wants to go through that? But there is a lesson in that example. They grow after that. This life is beautiful but it isn’t paradise. If we want something we have to go through discomfort first. After pain there is pleasure.

If you notice our whole human essence whether it’s our soul, body, brain, heart, limbs, muscles, personal hygiene etc they all crave growth. If we’re not growing in a certain aspect of our life then we actually slowly deteriorate and this is how depression also works. It’s how your muscles work you need to be active or they degenerate even our bones do that. The bones remodel themselves when a healthy stress is placed on them. When we floss our teeth our oral hygiene grows and we maintain our health well into the future if we keep doing this.

There is deep lessons in the simple examples of nature that never seems to stop amazing me. Nature is a humble teacher.

I’ve realised today that I get depressed or go into low moods because I’m not growing somewhere or something needs maintenance. I’m a bit of a lazy person and my lack of self-discipline causes a lot of my suffering but again pain is a feedback mechanism whether it’s depression, guilt, fear or whatever and it’s part of a magnificent design that is actually trying to help you and push you to grow and be comfortable again. The whole point of pain is to push you so you stop feeling pain. It’s with you not against you. In other words pain has a purpose. It’s a signal of content and meaning.

Sometimes we can feel down and label ourselves as just depressed or sad because it’s not always apparent why we feel a certain way but upon looking deeper, there is a whole world to explore, a message to be listened to.

So remember, love yourself and work with your pain and you may just open up a new world of positive feelings you never knew existed.

As a fun activity to do, go and google brain scans of someone idle or just in their normal state and look at a comparison picture of when the brain is exposed to novelty of some sort. The brain lights up more on the scan excited with more activity. The pleasure chemical dopamine is released a powerful antidote to depression. I looked at such pictures and it helped me understand why I get depressed when I’m in the same routine for too long or I’m just bored and need something new to do. I would use the pain of boredom and channel it into something novel and new to feed myself positive emotions and brain chemicals.

I hope this post helped someone.

S

Sunflower93

I came on here today, depressed, and in so much pain. I just needed something.. I didn't know what it was.. but your post was it. Thankyou.

jajingna

jajingna

Good post. Yes, it seems any type of pain is really just a signal that something needs to be looked after. A stomach pain could be a sign of digestive issues, and maybe a change in diet can help. I guess emotional pain is more complicated, we often don't really know the cause of that. We're tempted to escape it, rather than find the source. Or to look at it, spend a little time with it, see what it means if possible.

Depression comes from various sources I think. There are things in your life that are not working well. Could be your habits, could be that you live in a lousy place, maybe you live around lousy people who are stuck in their own ruts too. Naturally you just want to feel better, to not be suffering, but you need to find out where all that is coming from. Not an easy task.

M

Mistral

Pain is natural. If we could not feel pain when say, we accidentally touched a hot saucepan, we would continue to touch hot saucepans and thus our hand would become so damaged and infected we would eventually lose it. This is what happens with leprosy which affects the sufferer's ability to feel pain.

It is also natural to feel pain when we are sad or depressed as well. If we didn't feel pain the things that make us depressed would just keep happening without any attempt to learn and grow from them as has been mentioned above. However, often when we discover that we have depression, we have lost track of the things that have made us depressed and our depression is seen as just one homogenous ailment.

sami

sami

Thank you @TheHeartHasAVoice so much for your post! i think is what i needed to hear to start excercising again and put more effort into changing bad habits. Wish you the best!

U

Usedup

Thanks @thishearthasavoice for you post! I think you are spot on with this. I recently left a very secure, good-paying job that had me thinking of suicide on a regular basis for something different that does not pay as well. I feel much better but not quite there yet. Took me a loooonnnng time to listen to the pain and work up the courage to make the move. May need to eventually move to an entirely different field but I'll give this at least a year.
Wish I could find a cure for peripheral neuropathy. I've got the docs baffled on that one.