• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depression and Sleeping Issues

M

Marty19

I was diagnosed with depression a few years ago by my doctor. Their diagnosis was based on me describing symptoms of constant disturbed sleep patterns amongst other things such as ruminating thoughts and constant anxiety. While I get to sleep reasonably well I wake without fail every night at 5-6am with a feeling of high alertness and a feeling of heavy pressure in my mind, like something pushing my brain downwards. This then builds up again during the day to the point where I struggle to engage in conversation with people due to the feeling of heaviness on my mind. it greatly affects my capacity to live normally as it's all that occupies my thinking.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar feelings and if they have any suggestions to resolve this issues other than taking medication? I have suffered with this since a traumatic childhood and while having had various forms of therapy such as CBT, Psychotherapy, hypnotherapy and acupuncture over the years it seems to be a natural state which always reoccurs due to conditioning no matter how I try to deal with. I go through this without fail every day and can never seem to alleviate the symptoms. I eat healthy and exercise so don't know what more I can do. The side effects of medication are too great to want to take these all the time and so I'm now lost as to what other solutions there are, be it natural or otherwise.

Any advice from people affected in a similar manner would be greatly appreciated.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Long-term insomniac here too.. it's a nightmare (well it would be if I could bloody sleep! :rolleyes:).

I can't say i've got it totally figured out, I still regularly struggle with sleeping.

What is your bedtime routine like? Do you prepare for sleep before going to bed?
I know you've probably heard this so many times, but it can be helpful to get into a night time routine.
My routine is this -
Switching off electricals (tv, computer etc.) at a reasonable hour.
Going to the bathroom to brush my teeth and use the loo if I need to.
Make a hot water bottle.
Take my medication.
Make a hot water bottle.
Read a book.
Switch bedside lamp of as soon as i'm tired.

The fact that this is linked into a traumatic childhood is something to consider.
How safe do you feel in your house/bedroom?
I had all kinds of nightmares related to abuse, but I put a "mosquito net" over my bed (it's more fancy than just a mosquito net, by the way!) and having that protective layer around me when I sleep has really helped. I feel cocooned and more safe, which in turn has helped reduce my nightmares.

M

Marty19

Sorry for the late response, thanks for you replies so far:

I have tried everything possible to help myself deal with this issue. As mentioned exercise (running, yoga), eat healthy. Caffeine yes, but only one cup in the morning. I keep away from electronic devices in the evening (today as an exception!) So am not sure what more I can do.

I have tried herbal remedies and medication which as I say does get rid of the symptoms but gives me so many other issues (muscle fatigue, loss of appetite, feeling detached from the world). I can't stick to them. The last one I took was Seroxat which was meant to be mild but made me feel awful.

I just constantly have a feeling of pressure on my mind, sometimes it goes after exercise etc but then like water filling a tank it builds up again no matter what my mood. It seems to be a natural state which as I say I think is linked to my childhood and always feeling a sense of immediate/impending stress, now my brain just defaults naturally to this.

I do get to sleep well enough but always wake up super alert with a heavy feeling on my mind very early. I haven't come across anyone having similar issues like this and hoped someone might have had something similar or a solution I had yet to think of?

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have trouble with sleep too, not just the falling asleep but the staying asleep. I have recently swapped to mirtazipine which I've found helpful in getting to sleep and staying asleep. However I don't feel they help my anxious side so take propanolol alongside. At first I felt drowsy in the morning but now I wake up feeling very clear. If you're currently on ADs I'd imagine you'll need to come off those to try other meds.