• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Depression and or eating disorder. How do I begin to get help?

N

Noname416

Since 2014, I’ve been eating and purging my food out... I’d say at least 3 times a week sometimes more than once a day. I’ve lost over 50lbs.

I’ve come to a point where I can’t do it anymore... it’s not just effecting my teeth, it’s my mental- it’s draining. It’s making me moody and snappy, agitated and so mean to everyone around me.

I read online that an eating disorder and depression go hand in hand. So my question is where do I even begin to get help? If you can share your first experiences in getting help, please share.

ScreamingMime

ScreamingMime

What are some of the things you feel after you eat, and what are some of the things you feel after you throw up your food? Have you been able to identify the emotional that you're feeling when you want to do that?

I can see how it goes hand in hand with depression. I think your food problem is most likely a symptom of your depression. Do you battle with feelings of depression like regret and guilt, or sad and insecure?

This is a shot in the dark, and I don't know anything about your disorder and how it feels, but if you're feeling guilty when you eat unhealthy food, then you can try meal prepping so your most convenient meal option is something healthy like a chicken alfredo or delicious stuff over rice?

I can also be a self worth issue. You may not feel like you're worth the effort, and you're very quick to dismiss your own needs like food and exercise.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Since 2014, I’ve been eating and purging my food out... I’d say at least 3 times a week sometimes more than once a day. I’ve lost over 50lbs.

I’ve come to a point where I can’t do it anymore... it’s not just effecting my teeth, it’s my mental- it’s draining. It’s making me moody and snappy, agitated and so mean to everyone around me.

I read online that an eating disorder and depression go hand in hand. So my question is where do I even begin to get help? If you can share your first experiences in getting help, please share.
I have no experience of eating disorder but sending you hugs 💝

N

Noname416

What are some of the things you feel after you eat, and what are some of the things you feel after you throw up your food? Have you been able to identify the emotional that you're feeling when you want to do that?

I can see how it goes hand in hand with depression. I think your food problem is most likely a symptom of your depression. Do you battle with feelings of depression like regret and guilt, or sad and insecure?

This is a shot in the dark, and I don't know anything about your disorder and how it feels, but if you're feeling guilty when you eat unhealthy food, then you can try meal prepping so your most convenient meal option is something healthy like a chicken alfredo or delicious stuff over rice?

I can also be a self worth issue. You may not feel like you're worth the effort, and you're very quick to dismiss your own needs like food and exercise.
Firstly thank you for writing to me, I appreciate it.

Sometimes I don’t even over eat. I just feel the urge to purge everything out.

I’ve been purging for years but only recently in the middle of eating my meal sadness and disgust comes over me and I find myself feeling bad and crying. I’m scared to gain weight, but im also realizing a lot has to do with me disliking myself, not look wise per say... but who I am and who’ve I become. I’m trying to hurt myself. When I drink occasionally, I feel overwhelming feelings of sadness and depression- and ill purge but not because I’m scared of getting fat. I think that took place of me self-harming myself, but I’ve only done that once 12 years ago, and then again about 4 years ago.

I do have self worth issues, insecurities issues.

N

Noname416

Most importantly though. How does one bring up this situation to a doctor in order to get help?? This alone makes me not want to get help but I’ve been so snappy and nasty to people like my mother, who looks extremely hurt and doesn’t understand why I am talking to her the way I am. She thinks it’s her when it’s actually me.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Firstly thank you for writing to me, I appreciate it.

Sometimes I don’t even over eat. I just feel the urge to purge everything out.

I’ve been purging for years but only recently in the middle of eating my meal sadness and disgust comes over me and I find myself feeling bad and crying. I’m scared to gain weight, but im also realizing a lot has to do with me disliking myself, not look wise per say... but who I am and who’ve I become. I’m trying to hurt myself. When I drink occasionally, I feel overwhelming feelings of sadness and depression- and ill purge but not because I’m scared of getting fat. I think that took place of me self-harming myself, but I’ve only done that once 12 years ago, and then again about 4 years ago.

I do have self worth issues, insecurities issues
Again no experience so feel free to tell me to feck off. But have you tried exploring you insecurities or depression? Tried to get to the root of them and then work j
Up from there? Xx

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Most importantly though. How does one bring up this situation to a doctor in order to get help?? This alone makes me not want to get help but I’ve been so snappy and nasty to people like my mother, who looks extremely hurt and doesn’t understand why I am talking to her the way I am. She thinks it’s her when it’s actually me.
Remember most doctors spent years studying because they wanted to help people. Being open and honest with doctors is the best way to get help. And unless the doc is new they will have heard many cases similiar to yours xxx

N

Noname416

Remember most doctors spent years studying because they wanted to help people. Being open and honest with doctors is the best way to get help. And unless the doc is new they will have heard many cases similiar to yours xxx
Good point.
I feel discouraged because I feel like I’ll be judged but I forget this wouldn’t be the first time the doc has heard this story.

I need to screenshot this and read it over again and over again before i second guess myself 👍

ScreamingMime

ScreamingMime

You could have been exposed to way to much shallowness and fat shaming from your environment. That's a issue for some people when they're younger

As for at to bring this up to the doctor, you can tell them that you think you've been dealing with depression, and then disclose the for purging to them because you think it's one of the reasons you think you're dealing with depression. The focus will be a much bigger picture then just the part you're embarrassed of. I've had to do this with self-harm and stuff, it was akward for a minute but my doctors have been pretty nonjudgmental.

And for your mom, if she's understanding and supportive, you can consider filling her in on what you're going through.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Good point.
I feel discouraged because I feel like I’ll be judged but I forget this wouldn’t be the first time the doc has heard this story.

I need to screenshot this and read it over again and over again before i second guess myself 👍
Most health care proffesionals are there because they are good caring people. Doctors hear and see all types every day, that's their job. Your not the first and you wont be the last. You wont be judged by your doc 👍

N

Noname416

You could have been exposed to way to much shallowness and fat shaming from your environment. That's a issue for some people when they're younger

As for at to bring this up to the doctor, you can tell them that you think you've been dealing with depression, and then disclose the for purging to them because you think it's one of the reasons you think you're dealing with depression. The focus will be a much bigger picture then just the part you're embarrassed of. I've had to do this with self-harm and stuff, it was akward for a minute but my doctors have been pretty nonjudgmental.

And for your mom, if she's understanding and supportive, you can consider filling her in on what you're going through.
Was it a huge process with him diagnosing you with depression? Did you have to see a psychologist first?

ScreamingMime

ScreamingMime

Was it a huge process with him diagnosing you with depression? Did you have to see a psychologist first?
The first time I went in I was scheduled a psych evaluation before we were finished with the appointment. She was pretty understanding and I got to see the other doctor and start getting diagnosed the next week.

N

Noname416

Just posting in here cause my feelings are being irked.

Feel a mean bone coming on and onto someone else 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

N

Noname416

Humans are so annoying:scared:

But I know it’s me not them