• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depression and Boss

P

petalni

Hi Everyone, first time on this forum. I've been off for two months with depression and expecting a phone call from my boss. She has to check in with me every two weeks but I find this really difficult. What do I say to her when she asks "How are you and when are you coming back?" I get really self conscious each time and ramble on.
What is the best way to answer this question and not feel like I should go into details? thanks and regards to everyone xx

P

petalni

Boss actually phoned and I did my best to not go into detail. I find that hard as mental health is never treated the same as physical illness. Anyway, as she said goodbye she couldn't help but add "when you come back or IF you come back". Not making me feel like I'm wanted...

F

Frankum35

Welcome to the forum. Your health comes first. Feel better soon.

C

cathanifrind174

I was out of work for two months and I was feeling so guilty and I also had a tough time opening up to my boss.

Your boss is right to be concerned about you and even has the right to ask you about work, after all it is his job to manage the team. Strictly speaking I don't think you have to tell him about your depression but I decided to do so with my manager.

It was super hard as I am also extremely introverted and super shy, but I knew I had to tell the truth because I was feeling guilty. Eventually, things went well and I was able to start work again. I did have to take short times off work every now and then but overall, I am much better.

I don't know about your boss. If he or she is understanding, it might help you feel less guilty. But if they are anything less than understanding, you should probably avoid the subject all together. If you can though, I am in favor of opening up so that you have one less thing to worry about.