• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depression... and anxiety?

C

charlieblack5

I thought I had anxiety, and it’s how I’ve diagnosed myself with elements of depression. However, after now speaking to a doctor after having a particularly rough day, I have more signs of depression than anxiety.

I somehow find this harder to process than anxiety. Does anyone else have trouble actually admitting they are depressed? I’ve been offered some antidepressants and have a follow up call on Wednesday ... I think I’ll take them up on the offer. This sucks.

jajingna

jajingna

Seems to me they are all mixed up, and can change, sometimes you feel one or the other, or some of both, or one more strongly for a while, then the other takes over, then they subside... and that may be just in one day

C

charlieblack5

Very true! Definitely linked. It’s tough to know what to do for the best.

Wishbone

Wishbone

They often go hand-in-hand but that's kind of because they feed off of each other. If you start with getting depression, as I did, that can feel like a very distinct thing, which it was...until later I started to get anxious about the fact that I had this thing and didn't want others to see me like that, or have to explain how I felt etc. Later, I could also experience anxiety independent of depression because I still felt that I had this thing and speaking to people would somehow reveal it. Anxiety can grow like an invasive weed and it really is something that needs to be tackled rather than allowed to grow, and for me at least, it's a lot more psychological than depression, which seems to be much more biological. So fixing one may take medication or lifestyle changes to promote wellness from within, and the other may take a change in thinking and beliefs.

Sounds Bipolar
I think you need to read up on what Bipolar is my friend.

C

charlieblack5

... no, I don’t think so.

C

charlieblack5

They often go hand-in-hand but that's kind of because they feed off of each other. If you start with getting depression, as I did, that can feel like a very distinct thing, which it was...until later I started to get anxious about the fact that I had this thing and didn't want others to see me like that, or have to explain how I felt etc. Later, I could also experience anxiety independent of depression because I still felt that I had this thing and speaking to people would somehow reveal it. Anxiety can grow like an invasive weed and it really is something that needs to be tackled rather than allowed to grow, and for me at least, it's a lot more psychological than depression, which seems to be much more biological. So fixing one may take medication or lifestyle changes to promote wellness from within, and the other may take a change in thinking and beliefs.

I think you need to read up on what Bipolar is my friend.
Thank you - I think very similar. Likely started with depression, which in turn feeds into the feeling of anxiety. Will anti depressants help?

Wishbone

Wishbone

That depends. If you don't have anything else other than these two, then possibly, but even then you may need to find the right kind for you. If it turns out you do have something more (and I DO have Bipolar disorder) then they can damn near kill you. Some only find out once they've had them and end up in hell. I would always advise caution in taking antidepressants, to read up on their effects and side-effects, and to weigh these things up against the thoughts and feelings that you are experiencing. And then to ask yourself if you need a pill to make things change for yourself, or can you change yourself...yourself! Can you get help to change the way you think or react to things. Therapy is better for some.

C

charlieblack5

That depends. If you don't have anything else other than these two, then possibly, but even then you may need to find the right kind for you. If it turns out you do have something more (and I DO have Bipolar disorder) then they can damn near kill you. Some only find out once they've had them and end up in hell. I would always advise caution in taking antidepressants, to read up on their effects and side-effects, and to weigh these things up against the thoughts and feelings that you are experiencing. And then to ask yourself if you need a pill to make things change for yourself, or can you change yourself...yourself! Can you get help to change the way you think or react to things. Therapy is better for some.
Yeah, I’m a bit cautious of the antidepressant route but am talking to a counsellor tomorrow (first session) so will see how I get on. Bit nervous.

I know they can make you even more depressed, especially at first? I don’t think there’s anything else - I certainly don’t think there’s bipolar involved so a bit confused why this was suggested by Zero One?

Zero One

Zero One

Yeah, I’m a bit cautious of the antidepressant route but am talking to a counsellor tomorrow (first session) so will see how I get on. Bit nervous.

I know they can make you even more depressed, especially at first? I don’t think there’s anything else - I certainly don’t think there’s bipolar involved so a bit confused why this was suggested by Zero One?
It was suggested by me because that is how bipolar seems to me with the depression and the anxiety. I'm making a suggestion from my personal experience and I'm not a psychiatrist. I was only contributing what I thought. Sometimes we are the very thing that we fear the most.

Nate

Nate

I thought I had anxiety, and it’s how I’ve diagnosed myself with elements of depression. However, after now speaking to a doctor after having a particularly rough day, I have more signs of depression than anxiety.

I somehow find this harder to process than anxiety. Does anyone else have trouble actually admitting they are depressed? I’ve been offered some antidepressants and have a follow up call on Wednesday ... I think I’ll take them up on the offer. This sucks.
With depression and anxiety thing's can change one day one will have the dominance the next the other. Take every day as it comes. Good luck 🍀🤞

C

cathanifrind174

I have a close relative who is bipolar and I have anxiety and depression and our symptoms are very different. I have more depression than anxiety but over the years I've gotten more active, I have a full-time job and in a relationship so I feel I don't have the "right" to be in a depression and this has given me anxiety. I'm taking pills for both depression and anxiety and I haven't gone into manic phase or anything. I am an extremely concetious and melancholic person and I have never had any sense of "high" or happiness in my life, so bipolar was ruled out from day 1. But I do have a close relative who was diagnosed with depression and given anti-depressant pills. But she was bipolar and it made the bipolar disease worse. Thankfully, she's on Lithium now and doing great (much better than me). So even if you're a professional, it's hard to tell, but I'd say, at least for me, I assosciate them with the following symptoms:

Depression: extremely tired, unusually sad, disturbed sleep cycles, suicide ideation, no energy, exlcuding oneself from all social groups, extreme guilt

Anxiety: Overly stressed and tensed about every small thing, panic attacks, inability to concentrate or work properly, making a lot of mistakes at work

Bipolar: alternating periods of highs and lows. During highs, the person has lots of energy, sleeps very little and is very outgoing and happy. During lows, it's basically like depression (disclaimer: I've never had it but I have a close relative who has it, she has asked me not to tell anybody so I'll leave it at close relative)

Wishbone

Wishbone

@cathanifrind174 In Bipolar the highs are the highest highs, and the lows are the lowest lows. So Bipolar depression is only rivalled, or equalled, by Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) depressions. You're not guaranteed to always get the crushing depressions, you can get milder ones too, but you're more likely to get them in Bipolar. But as always, the main differential for Bipolar is Mania, which isn't "Oh I'm just so happy!" as many people believe it to be. But I'll stop there because my posts in this thread have already been edited or deleted enough as it is. :rolleyes:

C

charlieblack5

It’s a spectrum isn’t it! On the plus, today was an ok day. Phew.