• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

depression and addiction

L

Lucy87x

Just wondering if anyone finds that they have an addictive personality and if its most likely linked with mental health? i find that im always bouncing between different addictions such as binge drinking alcohol or gambling alot of money or overeating or overspending on things dont need everything to excess and im not sure if its depression and trying to cheer myself up in the moment or the fact im not really.fussed and im in that mindset since my mum died that enjoy myself which i do short term. Anyone else relate? xx

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Just wondering if anyone finds that they have an addictive personality and if its most likely linked with mental health? i find that im always bouncing between different addictions such as binge drinking alcohol or gambling alot of money or overeating or overspending on things dont need everything to excess and im not sure if its depression and trying to cheer myself up in the moment or the fact im not really.fussed and im in that mindset since my mum died that enjoy myself which i do short term. Anyone else relate? xx
Is that something people do to smother emotional distress?

I sometimes would like to keep drinking due to being upset but my mind stops me. I think I reach a point of understanding how I feel and needing to comfort myself. Do you get there?

B

Bod

Former member
Relate 100% Lucy, but for me sometimes I think it is really nice to treat our selfs to something as it gives us the feel good factor. Like last year I was so down that I sold all my photography kits and then got all new Sony full frame cameras and I was like a big kid unboxing it all, then a new Sony came out so I got that too so I have about 5 great cameras here now yet I only really need one.

K

Keesha

Yes. I’ve got an addictive personality which you is why I HAVE to discipline myself with substances like alcohol, junk food, coffee, weed etc or I over indulge.

jajingna

jajingna

It's tempting and easy enough to turn to something to alleviate a lousy mood.