• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Depressed with a Phobia of taking Medication - Any help would be appreciated more than you'll ever know.

J

Jruck504

Good afternoon, I am a 35 year old male who was diagnosed with depression and anxiety yesterday during my first meeting with a therapist. He prescribed me 10mg of prozac to take daily. If you can, please read my experience and if you have any words of encouragement or help I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll start out by saying I am terrified of taking medication. When I was a teenager, I was heavily into drugs. MDMA, Acid, Pills, etc.. It was when I turned 20 that I had my first panic attack. I thought I took too much hydrocodone and I googled "Can you overdose on hydrocodone" the google results sent me into my first panic attack (which I didnt know at the time). I thought I was dying lol. Ever since then, the thought of taking medication gets my anxiety sky high.

The only medication I have gained enough confidence to take is Indomethacin for my gout flare ups. Even with that, I have to take it right before bed and go to sleep immediately so I don’t have a full blown panic attack. My issue is I am afraid of feeling the medicine "kick in" (which it doesn’t). I guess all of those younger years of taking drugs that do "kick in" and the panic attack I eventually experienced on one of them is why I am so terrified of medicine.

I'm unsure if any of this makes sense or if I am explaining this correctly but I hope someone out there understands what I am going through. Back to the Prozac, I am terrified to take it. I'm worried it will "kick in" and I'll feel high or extremely different as I am always on high alert on how my body feels. I’m scared I’ll feel artificial and this will send me into a downward spiral of anxiety which will cost me my job. I have a wife and a newborn who depend on me so the thought of that scares me.

Thank you if you took the time to read this as I know it’s a lot.

B

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear you have anxiety and depression. You have had bad experiences with taking drugs so I can understand your fear of taking medication. How about having therapy to treat your anxiety and depression and in the therapy you can also discuss your fear? I think therapy really helps anxiety and depression. It gets to the root of what causes it.

N

Nukelavee

The down side is that, at some point, you may feel an effect, a negative side-effect. Never taken Prozac, but my anti-depressant put me through noticable effects for a month or so, just enough to feel "off".

The plus side is there's no stark line where it kicks in, and those effects do fade after a month.

Hmmm. I can get why you find it an issue - I've had drug experiences like yours, recreational, where I felt I was more stone than I wanted to be, and it wasn't gonna be over for a while. It can be scary.

J

Jruck504

That is certainly a direction I am heading. I left a voice message to a counselor my therapist recommended and am waiting to hear back.

N

Nukelavee

Also, it's not like a recreational drug addiction - if you don't like how it works, you can taper off and quit.

As others said - it is possible to greatly improve through therapy alone, so I'm glad you are taking that step.

Many people find starting therapy alone terrifying, so, whoot!

J

Jruck504

I did it guys and gals, I mustered up the confidence to take it about 10 minutes ago. Bring on the anxiety lol

B

bpd2020

Well done! That is such a brave thing to do. To push yourself despite having a phobia is so courageous. I really hope it helps you.