• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depressed partner help

L

Lucy12345

Hi all,

I haven’t posted here before so I hope it’s ok to ask for advice on behalf of someone else. My partner is suffering from depression, which kicked in around a month ago and he’s completely distanced himself from me and blames me for absolutely all of his problems. How can I help? I don’t want the relationship to end and I am so hopeful that the things he says are just part of what he is going through but it is taking such a heavy toll on me and I spend most days reading about depression or crying. I am trying to give him space, not engaging romantically with him at all as he doesn’t want to hug or kiss me, he barely wants to talk to me. I worry that being too distant will cause us to grow apart. Has anyone who has experienced depression found themselves resenting their partner and if so did the relationship survive?
Thanks, I’m so lost.

S

SilhouettedByTheSea

Hi,

I don't have any magic words of wisdom but I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I just wanted to say that I have been experiencing depressive symptoms and am only just starting to acknowledge them, but part of the way they have manifested is a withdrawal from and irritability with my partner and children, while knowing that they are not the problem and this is unfair. I think this can be very common, especially in men.

Encourage him to get some help and just be around for him while he experiences this. And don't take his behaviour too personally (easier said than done I know).

Best of luck to you.

L

Lucy12345

Hi,

I don't have any magic words of wisdom but I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I just wanted to say that I have been experiencing depressive symptoms and am only just starting to acknowledge them, but part of the way they have manifested is a withdrawal from and irritability with my partner and children, while knowing that they are not the problem and this is unfair. I think this can be very common, especially in men.

Encourage him to get some help and just be around for him while he experiences this. And don't take his behaviour too personally (easier said than done I know).

Best of luck to you.
I really appreciate you responding, thank you. I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing depressive symptoms yourself, I can’t begin to imagine how hard it is. Know you’re not alone, and you’re worthy of good things! Take one day at a time and remind yourself frequently that you are not your depression, and it will pass. Sending love

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L My depressed partner doesn't contact me anymore, What can I do to help? Depression Forum 38
K My partner is getting more and more depressed and I don't know how to help exactly Depression Forum 2
M Advice needed for depressed partner who won't accept help Depression Forum 2
K supporting a depressed partner. HELP Depression Forum 2
C Relationship Troubles and Depressed Partner (depressed boyfriend) Depression Forum 1
L Depressed partner- seeking advice Depression Forum 5
L Partner depressed.I'm heavily pregnant Depression Forum 1
I Depressed partner- feel not much support Depression Forum 1
S Partner depressed, relationship at risk Depression Forum 6
C My depressed partner is pushing me away - need support Depression Forum 7
S Helping my depressed partner Depression Forum 2
R Ridiculous question - what is normal in a depressed partner? Depression Forum 1
R Depressed partner Depression Forum 1
J My partner is depressed, relationship is on the rocks & I don't understand. Depression Forum 5
B Depressed ex partner Depression Forum 1
L Advice re depressed partner please Depression Forum 1
L Depressed partner, what an I do Depression Forum 5
P Depressed partner needing advice Depression Forum 2
P Depressed partner-I feel shut out Depression Forum 1
7 Pretty depressed Depression Forum 5
T Permanently depressed just struggle o function. Anyone elseor is it just me? Depression Forum 5
mirrormaker is adviceable to live with your parents if you are a depressed adult? Depression Forum 7
H Too depressed to get help for depression. Ironic no? Depression Forum 32
P Oh God I'm so depressed Depression Forum 11
J Should I quit my job if it is making me depressed? Depression Forum 11
L Very Depressed Depression Forum 10
S Been feeling depressed for years Depression Forum 32
purehavoc Depressed,angry,totaly suicidal... Depression Forum 8
C Depressed after crush on girl, who left work Depression Forum 7
Bod Depressed and raging Depression Forum 18
L Depressed but can see there is light Depression Forum 8
D Depressed GF Depression Forum 3
queenleblanc I thought my depression was linked to my failure. I'm still depressed even though I "succeeded". Depression Forum 5
S Depressed, overweight. Lonely and lacking motivation Depression Forum 28
C Bedridden depressed, hopeless, trigger warning Depression Forum 6
C What are the basic things you do to help when depressed? Depression Forum 14
A Fancy Carp Depressed, lonely, awkward. Anyone want to just shoot the breeze? Depression Forum 71
I Feeling depressed lost my job Depression Forum 5
FallingLeaves "This could be why you're depressed or anxious" Depression Forum 19
L Depressed for a long time Depression Forum 6
whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123) can’t stand being depressed from ptsd Depression Forum 3
O Feeling more depressed Depression Forum 5
T Suicide attempt = depressed? Depression Forum 2
J I tend to get more depressed at night. Depression Forum 16
K My depressed boyfriend dumped me does he come back? Depression Forum 9
Amelia2020 Feel depressed about how distant and cold my family is Depression Forum 6
I Feel very depressed Depression Forum 21
J Depressed friend ignoring me Depression Forum 6
L Feeling Depressed Depression Forum 5
P I feel so useless and depressed because I can't drive Depression Forum 2