• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

L

Lucy12345

Hi all,

I haven’t posted here before so I hope it’s ok to ask for advice on behalf of someone else. My partner is suffering from depression, which kicked in around a month ago and he’s completely distanced himself from me and blames me for absolutely all of his problems. How can I help? I don’t want the relationship to end and I am so hopeful that the things he says are just part of what he is going through but it is taking such a heavy toll on me and I spend most days reading about depression or crying. I am trying to give him space, not engaging romantically with him at all as he doesn’t want to hug or kiss me, he barely wants to talk to me. I worry that being too distant will cause us to grow apart. Has anyone who has experienced depression found themselves resenting their partner and if so did the relationship survive?
Thanks, I’m so lost.

S

SilhouettedByTheSea

Hi,

I don't have any magic words of wisdom but I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I just wanted to say that I have been experiencing depressive symptoms and am only just starting to acknowledge them, but part of the way they have manifested is a withdrawal from and irritability with my partner and children, while knowing that they are not the problem and this is unfair. I think this can be very common, especially in men.

Encourage him to get some help and just be around for him while he experiences this. And don't take his behaviour too personally (easier said than done I know).

Best of luck to you.

L

Lucy12345

Hi,

I don't have any magic words of wisdom but I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I just wanted to say that I have been experiencing depressive symptoms and am only just starting to acknowledge them, but part of the way they have manifested is a withdrawal from and irritability with my partner and children, while knowing that they are not the problem and this is unfair. I think this can be very common, especially in men.

Encourage him to get some help and just be around for him while he experiences this. And don't take his behaviour too personally (easier said than done I know).

Best of luck to you.
I really appreciate you responding, thank you. I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing depressive symptoms yourself, I can’t begin to imagine how hard it is. Know you’re not alone, and you’re worthy of good things! Take one day at a time and remind yourself frequently that you are not your depression, and it will pass. Sending love