• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Depressed or....

Kotter

Kotter

just not Manic?
i have a hard time telling sometimes.
thoughts?

B

Bobby B

Hiya, I think we have struggled to express how we feel at sometime or another. That’s why this forum is so good, it’s not judgmental and is full of ppl with bags of empathy. B

Wishbone

Wishbone

I tend to find depression pretty easy to distinguish but the higher states is when I start not really knowing where I am, usually until afterwards and thanks to mood diaries filling in the realities of the situation. Maybe if you're questioning it it could be a sign of mild depression when you feel kinda flat and lacking enthusiasm for much, lacking a spark and a bit of life?

S

SFGuy

just not Manic?
thoughts?
Me too. But I figure if I'm not a mess and I'm feeling OK, it's a good day.

Hypomania is worse for me. Am I hypomanic or having an ADHD thing or are they the same? I've given up trying to tell those apart.

floatin

floatin

just not Manic?
thoughts?
Yeah I feel I know what you’re referencing. That idle feeling, the not quite depressed but not manic either. Definitely my least favorite mood to be in.

K

keith74

just not Manic?
thoughts?
One thing I've been told that helps distinguish between the two is if you are still able to sleep regularly. If you are manic, you will feel you don't need or want much sleep. When stable, your sleep will not be affected from the usual amount.

Amazingly

Amazingly

I have a hard time telling if I’m feeling mildly depressed.
I feel blah many times, guess thats what most people would call mild depression.
Lately since being on Lamictal I’ve avoided the deep depressions.

Haven’t dived down to the abyss in a while thankfully

K

keith74

One thing I've been told that helps distinguish between the two is if you are still able to sleep regularly. If you are manic, you will feel you don't need or want much sleep. When stable, your sleep will not be affected from the usual amount.
I realized I misread the original post. The topic is differentiating between baseline or depression, not baseline or mania. Sorry. Some people may have sleep disrupted when depressed while others will sleep more. I think the key is the negative thoughts, looking at everything through a negative lense..

G

Ginger Kitten

For me, it's negative thinking AND a change in mood. It's happened to me the past few days; I can just feel I'm in a slump. But I had a friend with major depression who could only tell he was depressed when he stopped doing daily chores around the house and stopped shaving. Like you, he couldn't 'feel' the mood, so he looked for signs in his behaviour. Does that help?

Kotter

Kotter

it does help, thank you.
i figure i'm not depressed after all, just don't have the "the spark" i sometimes do.

G

Ginger Kitten

I heard something on Radio 4 today about Dissociative Disorder. The man being interviewed had a constant sense of 'disconnect' from both his feelings and his thoughts. It's just made me wonder if this might apply in your case? It seems strange to me to have a mood disorder but not to know when your mood dips. It also occurs to me that the friend I mentioned had periodic dissociative incidents. (You can have this disorder intermittently or all the time.) Just a thought...

Kotter

Kotter

i do feel a disconnect.
thought it was from my high dosage of antipsychotics.

G

Ginger Kitten

It could be, I really don't know, and I don't want to convince you of something that isn't so. I just mentioned the dissociation because it was something that the radio programme had brought to the forefront of my mind. Your pdoc would be the person to ask about this. Best wishes, Ginger.

B

BlueWater

I heard something on Radio 4 today about Dissociative Disorder. The man being interviewed had a constant sense of 'disconnect' from both his feelings and his thoughts. It's just made me wonder if this might apply in your case? It seems strange to me to have a mood disorder but not to know when your mood dips. It also occurs to me that the friend I mentioned had periodic dissociative incidents. (You can have this disorder intermittently or all the time.) Just a thought...
Just yesterday I felt like my mind was disconnected from my skin. It lasted most of the day and was uncomfortable. The day before was very stressful. Could also be due to me increasing the dosage on a med. Odd, uncomfortable feeling. It's there today, just not as noticeable.